PDA

View Full Version : How important is the O2 sensor?

unhygenix
12-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Hi All,
I had a engine check show up and the error code it spews out is "1221" which is to do with the O2 sensor.

How serious a problem is this? Can I drive with this thing on?
Please tell me what is the best thing to do?

Thanks,
Praveen

winfred
12-27-2004, 11:47 PM
you can drive with it on. 02 codes are not allways the sensor itself, air leaks and bad tune up are common causes, out of adjustment/dirty throttle body can screw with it too

unhygenix
12-27-2004, 11:53 PM
you can drive with it on. 02 codes are not allways the sensor itself, air leaks and bad tune up are common causes, out of adjustment/dirty throttle body can screw with it too

So would the light go away? Or should I reset it and check if it happens again?

I also heard that it is kind of a reminder, is it so for a 95 525i?

I am planning to give the car a rip to get rid of deposits, is this a good idea?

Thanks,
Praveen

winfred
12-27-2004, 11:56 PM
id check over everything for any obvious air leaks or any other problems and reset, that was much older cars that had 02 reminder lights, a good flog couldn't hurt

So would the light go away? Or should I reset it and check if it happens again?

I also heard that it is kind of a reminder, is it so for a 95 525i?

I am planning to give the car a rip to get rid of deposits, is this a good idea?

Thanks,
Praveen

unhygenix
12-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Thank you, I feel much better now. What exactly do you mean by obvious air leaks?
My fuel tank cap was stolen 2 days ago, could that be a reason?

Thanks again

id check over everything for any obvious air leaks or any other problems and reset, that was much older cars that had 02 reminder lights, a good flog couldn't hurt

winfred
12-28-2004, 12:10 AM
that could piss it off, air leaks as in cracks in the air boot or disconnected vacuum lines coming off of the valve cover

Thank you, I feel much better now. What exactly do you mean by obvious air leaks?
My fuel tank cap was stolen 2 days ago, could that be a reason?

Thanks again

unhygenix
12-28-2004, 12:13 AM
that could piss it off, air leaks as in cracks in the air boot or disconnected vacuum lines coming off of the valve cover