PDA

View Full Version : case of the missing amp

wat_sup2002
12-24-2004, 11:56 PM
umm... ok so i searched my boot for the amp and its not where it should be, plz see attched images and a little help plz... thanks, you guys are the best.

wat_sup2002
12-25-2004, 12:04 AM
and can a sub be connected to the stock?

winfred
12-25-2004, 12:16 AM
yep with some line level to rca converters and a cheepo crossover to filter out everything but the base, then hook that to a amp and then a sub, thats how i did my 325

wat_sup2002
12-25-2004, 12:20 AM
But i still cant find the stock amp can you plz have a look at the pics and give me your diagnos?

Dan in NZ
12-25-2004, 12:24 AM
Only the 10 speaker Hi-Fi system has the amp. Most US models had this setup, but not so common in the world market. I looked for the amp in mine, but didn't have it, that's when I found out about the different stereo systems that the E34 had... Another sign is the tweeters in the doors, next to the mirror, only the 10 speaker Hi-Fi had those too.

Officially there were three systems in the E34:

#1 10 speaker Hi-Fi system with amp in the trunk.
#2 8 speaker stereo system. (same as Hi-Fi but without door tweeters and amplifier)
#3 2 speaker basic system, no speakers on rear shelf. (almost non-existant, possibly a police/taxi version)

winfred
12-25-2004, 12:27 AM
that's where it is on usa cars, it's possible they put it in a different place, or didn't use one at all and just used a more powerful head unit, like our e30 3 series, not all of them had a amp just the ones with the premium sound system that had the tweeters in the rear deck and doors and larger drivers, i've not seen a usa e34 without a amp

But i still cant find the stock amp can you plz have a look at the pics and give me your diagnos?

wat_sup2002
12-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Then whats the go...? is there an amp located anywhere that can be upgraded

winfred
12-25-2004, 12:29 AM
we got #1 and our #2 had door tweeters and a amp but no dash speakers

#1 10 speaker Hi-Fi system with amp in the trunk.
#2 8 speaker stereo system. (same as Hi-Fi but without door tweeters and amplifier)
#3 2 speaker basic system, no speakers on rear shelf. (almost non-existant, possibly a police/taxi version)

wat_sup2002
12-25-2004, 12:37 AM
awwww common some one out there must know if there is an amp located anywhere in my car?

Dan in NZ
12-25-2004, 12:43 AM
we got #1 and our #2 had door tweeters and a amp but no dash speakers

Hmmm, interesting... I know I definitely have the dash speakers, kick-panel speakers and rear-shelf speakers, but no tweeters and no amp.

I was jsut going by the ETK, but of course it was set to Euro version, RHD. Of course they probably changed the speaker set-up over the years too. I would say if there's no amp in the trunk, then there just isn't one... According to the ETK, the speakers in the lesser systems are just wired directly to the stereo.

I don't know much about auto sound, but could you tap into the wires for the rear-shelf speakers, then add an amp and crossover for the sub???

wat_sup2002
12-25-2004, 01:06 AM
well ok then, how do i remove the head unit? having a little trouble...

Dan in NZ
12-25-2004, 03:15 AM
Undo the screws, then slide it out. The screws can be undone with a "BMW Radio Removal Tool", or a Torx T8 (I think), or a small allen key. I used a small allen key, as that was what I had laying around. The screws are hidden behind the tiny doors. Also, the screws don't come all the way out, they stay atttached to the radio when they're undone, and the radio will just slide right out.

Merry Christmas!