GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: case of the missing amp

Default case of the missing amp

umm... ok so i searched my boot for the amp and its not where it should be, plz see attched images and a little help plz... thanks, you guys are the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1989 525i E34(god bless em) M20/Power chip/17" M5 mags/soprts exhaust with headers.

and can a sub be connected to the stock?
    1989 525i E34(god bless em) M20/Power chip/17" M5 mags/soprts exhaust with headers.

yep with some line level to rca converters and a cheepo crossover to filter out everything but the base, then hook that to a amp and then a sub, thats how i did my 325
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

But i still cant find the stock amp can you plz have a look at the pics and give me your diagnos?

Only the 10 speaker Hi-Fi system has the amp. Most US models had this setup, but not so common in the world market. I looked for the amp in mine, but didn't have it, that's when I found out about the different stereo systems that the E34 had... Another sign is the tweeters in the doors, next to the mirror, only the 10 speaker Hi-Fi had those too.

Officially there were three systems in the E34:

#1 10 speaker Hi-Fi system with amp in the trunk.
    #2 8 speaker stereo system. (same as Hi-Fi but without door tweeters and amplifier)
    #3 2 speaker basic system, no speakers on rear shelf. (almost non-existant, possibly a police/taxi version)

that's where it is on usa cars, it's possible they put it in a different place, or didn't use one at all and just used a more powerful head unit, like our e30 3 series, not all of them had a amp just the ones with the premium sound system that had the tweeters in the rear deck and doors and larger drivers, i've not seen a usa e34 without a amp

Quote Originally Posted by wat_sup2002
    But i still cant find the stock amp can you plz have a look at the pics and give me your diagnos?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Then whats the go...? is there an amp located anywhere that can be upgraded

we got #1 and our #2 had door tweeters and a amp but no dash speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NZ
    #1 10 speaker Hi-Fi system with amp in the trunk.
    #2 8 speaker stereo system. (same as Hi-Fi but without door tweeters and amplifier)
    #3 2 speaker basic system, no speakers on rear shelf. (almost non-existant, possibly a police/taxi version)

awwww common some one out there must know if there is an amp located anywhere in my car?

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    we got #1 and our #2 had door tweeters and a amp but no dash speakers

Hmmm, interesting... I know I definitely have the dash speakers, kick-panel speakers and rear-shelf speakers, but no tweeters and no amp.

I was jsut going by the ETK, but of course it was set to Euro version, RHD. Of course they probably changed the speaker set-up over the years too. I would say if there's no amp in the trunk, then there just isn't one... According to the ETK, the speakers in the lesser systems are just wired directly to the stereo.

I don't know much about auto sound, but could you tap into the wires for the rear-shelf speakers, then add an amp and crossover for the sub???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast