PDA

View Full Version : help with fluids?

MaloventEvil
12-19-2004, 05:32 PM
I wanted to perform a spec2 on my car, starting with the fluids. What oil/clutch/ manual trans fluid would you recommend for my 95 540i 6 speed? Also, what oil filter brand do you recommend? How do I replace clutch / manual trans fluid (pictures would be AWESOME as I am more of a visual learner!) thanks alot! :D

-Aurash
e34 540i6

DueyT
12-19-2004, 05:43 PM
ME, this works for my 540 6-shooter...

Filter: Mann
Oil: Mobil1 0W40
Trans: Redline MTL (although halfway through the winter I'll be trying Mobil Synth ATF)
Clutch: DOT 4 - ATE
Brakes: DOT 4 - ATE (super blue on next flush)

Sorry, haven't done the clutch yet so nein piccies...

Cheers,
Duey

MaloventEvil
12-19-2004, 07:50 PM
more help would be appreciated! where do i drain the clutch fluid? is there a filter to change? procedure? :dunno

MaloventEvil
12-19-2004, 11:53 PM
if someone could scan the bentley manual's pages regarding this, i would appreciate it.

DueyT
12-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Sorry, ME...I only have the BMW TIS/ETK and it doesn't detail clutch fluid change...

MaloventEvil
12-20-2004, 02:21 AM
Sorry, ME...I only have the BMW TIS/ETK and it doesn't detail clutch fluid change...
thanks anyways :( i will have to figure this out tomorrow i guess.

on a side note, do you get your air filter from the $tealer?

MaloventEvil
12-20-2004, 02:25 AM
i was checking out your gallery! love your car!

DueyT
12-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks ME. I'll take a loook at my car and see what it looks like since the BMW ETK showed a tube from the brake resevoir to the clutch master cylinder...although I'm pretty sure my car has a separate clutch resevoir.

At its simplest, I would think that topping up the clutch cylinder then loosining the fitting at the slave first, then the master should work. I'm waiting for the spring when I do my brakes with ATE Super blue... I'll let you know what I find.

Cheers,
Duey