PDA

View Full Version : Differential Question

Sean Lukan
12-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Anyone know which differentials will fit into a '90 535ia. I have looked at BMWE34.net and am aware of the other 5 series diffs that will fit, just wondering if other models (3, 6, 7, 8) will also fit. I don't mind having to swap rear covers or anything like that, just trying to maximize the list of cars I can draw from while looking for a replacement diff. My car currently has the crappy 3.91 open diff, I'd like either a 3.91 LSD or a 4.27 LSD. Thanks for your help.

Sean L

talltorontoguy
12-07-2004, 01:42 PM
I believe that the 735 diff is a direct bolt in.

Anyone know which differentials will fit into a '90 535ia. I have looked at BMWE34.net and am aware of the other 5 series diffs that will fit, just wondering if other models (3, 6, 7, 8) will also fit. I don't mind having to swap rear covers or anything like that, just trying to maximize the list of cars I can draw from while looking for a replacement diff. My car currently has the crappy 3.91 open diff, I'd like either a 3.91 LSD or a 4.27 LSD. Thanks for your help.

Sean L

Rigmaster
12-07-2004, 06:07 PM
All of the 6 cyl E34 diffs (EXCEPT M5) and 530i diffs will bolt right in, the 735i/il diff will work, but you will have to swap the input flange, and I *think* the side flanges too.

I've got a 4.10 LSD that will bolt in, let me know.

Bret.

Sean Lukan
12-07-2004, 06:28 PM
All of the 6 cyl E34 diffs (EXCEPT M5) and 530i diffs will bolt right in, the 735i/il diff will work, but you will have to swap the input flange, and I *think* the side flanges too.

I've got a 4.10 LSD that will bolt in, let me know.

Bret.

Where are you located Bret, and how much to ship to Alberta Canada? T2B 1W6. I'm interested but if it ends up being too much I may just switch in my 5 spd & 3.46 LSD. But then I may want a 3.73 if I go that route. Will none of the diffs from the e30 fit? Are they smaller to match the weight of the lighter car?

Sean L

Rigmaster
12-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Sean,

I'm near Raleigh, NC. Not sure, but I think the diff is too heavy to ship USPS, so it would have to go UPS or Fedex ($$$$$$).

The E30 diffs do not fit, though they use the same ring + pinion gears as the 6 cyl E34 diffs- a competent shop can swap gears for you, but it's not an easy DIY to get the gears installed properly.

Bret.

Sean Lukan
12-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Competent local shop eh? Not sure there is one here in Calgary. Definitely not the shop that did my recent out of province inspection. Left one of my tranny pan bolts loose and it was puking a court of oil/week. Ended up putting it up on stands myself and finding the problem along with several other items they should have brought to my attention like mashed sway bar bushings, split tranny mount and many other things likely to be found on a car with 240,000Kms on it. Maybe I'll just grin and bear it for now and put my 5 spd in as soon as I can. Thanks for your help.

Sean L

632 Regal
12-07-2004, 09:58 PM
just replace the whole differential with another one, remove the rear cover to inspect the gear pattern so its nise and smooth wearing looking, and replace the whole unit. Brets the parts man and his recommendations as to a doner are dead on.

Incantation
12-08-2004, 12:17 PM
how much would you sell this for? I am Canadian but I have a post box just south of the border (WA) to save on shipping :) zip 98281

thanks