GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Differential Question

Default Differential Question

Anyone know which differentials will fit into a '90 535ia. I have looked at BMWE34.net and am aware of the other 5 series diffs that will fit, just wondering if other models (3, 6, 7, 8) will also fit. I don't mind having to swap rear covers or anything like that, just trying to maximize the list of cars I can draw from while looking for a replacement diff. My car currently has the crappy 3.91 open diff, I'd like either a 3.91 LSD or a 4.27 LSD. Thanks for your help.

Sean L

I believe that the 735 diff is a direct bolt in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Lukan
    Anyone know which differentials will fit into a '90 535ia. I have looked at BMWE34.net and am aware of the other 5 series diffs that will fit, just wondering if other models (3, 6, 7, 8) will also fit. I don't mind having to swap rear covers or anything like that, just trying to maximize the list of cars I can draw from while looking for a replacement diff. My car currently has the crappy 3.91 open diff, I'd like either a 3.91 LSD or a 4.27 LSD. Thanks for your help.

Sean L
    01 740i sport
    92 535i
    92 525 touring
    88 325ic

All of the 6 cyl E34 diffs (EXCEPT M5) and 530i diffs will bolt right in, the 735i/il diff will work, but you will have to swap the input flange, and I *think* the side flanges too.

I've got a 4.10 LSD that will bolt in, let me know.

Bret.

Default 4.10 Lsd

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster
    All of the 6 cyl E34 diffs (EXCEPT M5) and 530i diffs will bolt right in, the 735i/il diff will work, but you will have to swap the input flange, and I *think* the side flanges too.

I've got a 4.10 LSD that will bolt in, let me know.

Bret.
    Where are you located Bret, and how much to ship to Alberta Canada? T2B 1W6. I'm interested but if it ends up being too much I may just switch in my 5 spd & 3.46 LSD. But then I may want a 3.73 if I go that route. Will none of the diffs from the e30 fit? Are they smaller to match the weight of the lighter car?

Sean L

Sean,

I'm near Raleigh, NC. Not sure, but I think the diff is too heavy to ship USPS, so it would have to go UPS or Fedex ($$$$$$).

The E30 diffs do not fit, though they use the same ring + pinion gears as the 6 cyl E34 diffs- a competent shop can swap gears for you, but it's not an easy DIY to get the gears installed properly.

Bret.

Competent local shop eh? Not sure there is one here in Calgary. Definitely not the shop that did my recent out of province inspection. Left one of my tranny pan bolts loose and it was puking a court of oil/week. Ended up putting it up on stands myself and finding the problem along with several other items they should have brought to my attention like mashed sway bar bushings, split tranny mount and many other things likely to be found on a car with 240,000Kms on it. Maybe I'll just grin and bear it for now and put my 5 spd in as soon as I can. Thanks for your help.

Sean L

just replace the whole differential with another one, remove the rear cover to inspect the gear pattern so its nise and smooth wearing looking, and replace the whole unit. Brets the parts man and his recommendations as to a doner are dead on.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

how much would you sell this for? I am Canadian but I have a post box just south of the border (WA) to save on shipping zip 98281

thanks
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike