PDA

View Full Version : again...chips questions...

playero
08-21-2004, 09:51 PM
I'm going to get a chip in the next few weeks, I've been reading here a lot about them and my question is, which one is the best for the buck?? I have read about BMP, bavauto, dinan, turner, eat. I just want to get the best bang for the buck. Any help is appreciated, TIA. :)

mikemaster
08-21-2004, 10:16 PM
E A T chip

kiNGMak
08-22-2004, 01:00 AM
EAT CHip all the way.. but you can go ahead and buy another and be disappointed.. your choice.. most people on the board have had other chips too.. they say EAT is better then the other..

hlenoble
08-22-2004, 01:11 AM
I'm going to get a chip in the next few weeks, I've been reading here a lot about them and my question is, which one is the best for the buck?? I have read about BMP, bavauto, dinan, turner, eat. I just want to get the best bang for the buck. Any help is appreciated, TIA. :)

I have no doubt, based on all I have read, that the EAT chip is the best. Having been laid off recently, finances dictate that I either had to wait to buy the EAT chip or find a less expensive alternative. I bought a "proformance" chip from a vendor on ebay after reading his feedback, and I am very happy with it. While I don't have hard numbers to back it up, the car is noticably stronger accross the entire powerband. As claimed, the redline was raised by 500 RPM, but (due to speed laws and good sense) I have no idea if the claim of removing the top speed limit is true. I paid a total of $52.00 including shipping.

MarkD
08-22-2004, 07:13 AM
I have no doubt, based on all I have read, that the EAT chip is the best. Having been laid off recently, finances dictate that I either had to wait to buy the EAT chip or find a less expensive alternative. I bought a "proformance" chip from a vendor on ebay after reading his feedback, and I am very happy with it. While I don't have hard numbers to back it up, the car is noticably stronger accross the entire powerband. As claimed, the redline was raised by 500 RPM, but (due to speed laws and good sense) I have no idea if the claim of removing the top speed limit is true. I paid a total of $52.00 including shipping.

Let's figure out which is better: The E.A.T. or the ProFormance. I'll send you an EAT chip to evaluate, and while you drive it around for a month, send me the ProFormance chip so I can see what it's origins are. (It's a clone of some other chip).

Mark

playero
08-22-2004, 08:05 AM
Well, it looks like the EAT is going to be the one I will get unless some one else can convince me otherwise. It will be a while before I be able to try, tho, as I'm deployed overeas and won't be home until next year, jus accumulating parts to play with my toy once I get home.

rickm
08-22-2004, 08:07 AM
Play, I'd lean towards an EAT. The designer is active on this board and is always a call or email away and has show himself to be willing to work with folks if they have problems on with their chips. I saw the clones on ebay but decided to spend the extra few $$ on a chip whose origin I knew.

hlenoble
08-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Let's figure out which is better: The E.A.T. or the ProFormance. I'll send you an EAT chip to evaluate, and while you drive it around for a month, send me the ProFormance chip so I can see what it's origins are. (It's a clone of some other chip).

Mark

Mark,

I e-mailed you my information so we can try the swap for a month.

- Hal

mrbmw1
08-22-2004, 09:03 AM
EAT chip I can only express my own opinion & have traded emails with Mark on 3 differnt cars( If people quit hitting me I can finally finish one of them!)
Mark had always been quick with a response and is ALWAYS on the board so go with one of the family!

Russell
08-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Only been about 200 miles. I swear the car keeps getting stronger. I wanted low end gain as the 525i M50TU is a bit "soft" in the low end. This is what I got and more. It moves easier/less throttle in economy mode and is much much stronger in sport mode. Great chip.

Well, it looks like the EAT is going to be the one I will get unless some one else can convince me otherwise. It will be a while before I be able to try, tho, as I'm deployed overeas and won't be home until next year, jus accumulating parts to play with my toy once I get home.

Warren N.CA
08-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Those who have compared it with the "gold standard" (Conforti) say it is about the same to slightly better.

playero
08-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Ok, I'm sole EAT is, now who or where do I go in order to get this chip? It will be a couple of weeks before I get it, but the sooner I get all the info I need the better.

MarkD
08-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Ok, I'm sole EAT is, now who or where do I go in order to get this chip? It will be a couple of weeks before I get it, but the sooner I get all the info I need the better.

Just order from my website. It's $189 USD for a few more weeks and even includes Fedex shipping. Then it will be back up to $199 USD.

Mark

ve39
08-25-2004, 12:11 AM
sorry but what are those chips for do they make a car faster? and where can i check what kind of chip i got it's 525 1989
thx

DallasBill
08-25-2004, 11:42 AM
VE39: They increase the torque, horsepower, redline and overall driveability. Biggest overall effectiveness is on manual transmission vehicles.

Here's the Turner/Conforti link: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subcategory_detail.asp?modelcode=E34&subcat_id=74

1995 525i
08-26-2004, 08:26 AM
VE39: They increase the torque, horsepower, redline and overall driveability. Biggest overall effectiveness is on manual transmission vehicles.

Here's the Turner/Conforti link: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subcategory_detail.asp?modelcode=E34&subcat_id=74

If you add the performance chip to an automatic do you also have to add a chip for the transmission? Dinan won't sell me their chip ($299) without also selling me the transmission chip ($199).

Thanks

Dick Schneiders
08-26-2004, 08:37 AM
my 1991 525i's with no thought of adding a tranny chip. You need to look into one of them - most of us strongly prefer the E.A.T., and it is less expensive.

Dick Schneiders

If you add the performance chip to an automatic do you also have to add a chip for the transmission? Dinan won't sell me their chip ($299) without also selling me the transmission chip ($199).

Thanks

MarkD
08-26-2004, 08:38 AM

Thanks

You don't have to install transmission software just because you installed a new engine management chip. I'm surprised Dinan told you that as I'm sure they would sell just a performance chip in the past. I think it's just a way for them to sell you $500 in products instead of $299.

So it's $299 now for a Dinan chip? Mine seems like a great deal at $199 then. :D

Mark

Dick Schneiders
08-26-2004, 08:41 AM
His post didn't mention E.A.T. and so you might not realize this. His regular posting here is just another excellent reason for purchasing his chip over the other well known makers.

Get one - you will love it!

Dick Schneiders

You don't have to install transmission software just because you installed a new engine management chip. I'm surprised Dinan told you that as I'm sure they would sell just a performance chip in the past. I think it's just a way for them to sell you $500 in products instead of $299.

So it's $299 now for a Dinan chip? Mine seems like a great deal at $199 then. :D

Mark

1995 525i
08-26-2004, 08:44 AM

Mark

Thanks Mark. I'll keep that in mind. I think I'll add the chip in the next couple of months. RIght now I am putting about $2000 into needed repairs (thrust arms, rear bumper, plugs, filters etc). As soon as I get my next cash infusion I'll get your chip as it seems to be the preferred brand amongst the forum members.

1995 525i
08-26-2004, 08:46 AM
His post didn't mention E.A.T. and so you might not realize this. His regular posting here is just another excellent reason for purchasing his chip over the other well known makers.

Get one - you will love it!

Dick Schneiders

1995 525i
08-26-2004, 08:58 AM

Mark

Mark,
First do I still have to run high octane gas with your chip as with other chips?
Second, do you have any installation instructions I can look at?

Thanks,

Michael