PDA

View Full Version : differences in 5 speed vs. automatic

Rina120
06-28-2004, 01:52 PM
So I can drive the car! It took all weekend, but I was able to drive to work today. I noticed some minor differences and wanted to make sure they were normal.

1) On my automatics, there was another 'button" on the accelerator. When you floored the accelerator, you could push further and feel that you were engagin a button that would cause the car to go faster. This is not in my 5 speed. Is it not included onthe 5-speed?

2) On my automatics, at 80 mph I would run about 3200 RPMs. It's not a huge difference, but on the 5 speed, i am running about 3500 RPMs at 80/

3) Did 5 speeds not come with ASC? or is this just for my particular model?

Oh and by the way, I don't need a new clutch. Everyone says this one is going strong. I do however need struts.

Unregistered
06-28-2004, 02:02 PM
<So I can drive the car! It took all weekend, but I was able to drive to work today. I noticed some minor differences and wanted to make sure they were normal.>

Its not clear, but are you talking about comparing a 5 speed MANUAL transmission to an AUTOMATIC Transmission?

<On my automatics, there was another 'button" on the accelerator. When you floored the accelerator, you could push further and feel that you were engagin a button that would cause the car to go faster. This is not in my 5 speed. Is it not included onthe 5-speed?>

Huh?! Almost all automatics have a *downshift button* under the accelerator when you floor it. What kind of Automatic transmission cars have you been driving? You obviously wouldn't have this "button" with a 5-speed MANUAL transmission....

<Did 5 speeds not come with ASC? or is this just for my particular model?>

ASC is an option on both Manual and Automatic transmission cars. My 90 535i/5-speed MANUAL tranny/95K car does not have ASC.

<Oh and by the way, I don't need a new clutch. Everyone says this one is going strong. I do however need struts.>

If that's the case, replace it. You may also want to have all your suspension bushings looked at to see if they need replacing.

Phil M
06-28-2004, 02:04 PM
the 'button' is a little sporty thing that gives your auto a manual feature. it drops the gear and lets you accelerate easier, just as if you were to drop it a gear in your manual and do the same thing. Its not on the manual cause you can do this yourself with the gears. downshifting is fun :)

the gearing ratio of the same gears are different (right guys?)

ive seen a few 5 speeds with asc in person, i think it was an option for any e34. the later ones I beleve. but i even saw them on the 88 750. they were standard on 95 e34's but an option for previous years.

ryan roopnarine
06-28-2004, 02:07 PM
the "button" you speak of is the transmission kick down switch. in an automatic car, it forces a downshift when engaged. as you have a manual, you have to do this yourself if you wanna engage the nitrous "button" as it were.

im not sure about the gearing on the manual 525i, but the rear end on automatic cars was geared kinda steep (4.10). i would have assumed that you would turn over less, but ill wait for somebody else to chime in on that.

asc may or may not have come on any random smattering of 525is, you might have just gotten one that doesn't have it.

So I can drive the car! It took all weekend, but I was able to drive to work today. I noticed some minor differences and wanted to make sure they were normal.

1) On my automatics, there was another 'button" on the accelerator. When you floored the accelerator, you could push further and feel that you were engagin a button that would cause the car to go faster. This is not in my 5 speed. Is it not included onthe 5-speed?

2) On my automatics, at 80 mph I would run about 3200 RPMs. It's not a huge difference, but on the 5 speed, i am running about 3500 RPMs at 80/

3) Did 5 speeds not come with ASC? or is this just for my particular model?

Oh and by the way, I don't need a new clutch. Everyone says this one is going strong. I do however need struts.

ryan roopnarine
06-28-2004, 02:10 PM
the gearing ratio of the same gears are different (right guys?)

ive seen a few 5 speeds with asc in person, i think it was an option for any e34. the later ones I beleve. but i even saw them on the 88 750. they were standard on 95 e34's but an option for previous years.

the gearing on the manual 525i im certain is much less (like a 3.xx as opposed to the 4.1 on the automatic).

i don't know if they were standard on the 95, i drove a normally equipped 95 ia that didn't have an asc switch.

Phil M
06-28-2004, 02:13 PM
i coulda sworn that i read somewhere that they were standard! oh well :/

bimmerd00d
06-28-2004, 02:39 PM
my '93 525i 5-spd runs about 3500 at 80mph or so. Also, regarding the ASC, almost every manual trans. bmw in '93 had a limited slip diff instead of the ASC. I called BMW NA and got a production number for '93 525i 5-speeds, and let me tell you that we have one of the rarer BMW's ;)

DanDombrowski
06-28-2004, 03:03 PM
I have a 93 525i 5 spd, but as far as I can tell, I don't have a limited slip diff. I mean, I might, but it seems to me that only one wheel spins when I light up the tires. I guess I've never gone back and looked at the marks from when I've done standing burnouts. DEFINITELY don't have ASC, I can tell ya that ;)
I can go climb under the car sometime and check the number on my diff to see for sure. Any markings that would indicate limited slip?

my '93 525i 5-spd runs about 3500 at 80mph or so. Also, regarding the ASC, almost every manual trans. bmw in '93 had a limited slip diff instead of the ASC. I called BMW NA and got a production number for '93 525i 5-speeds, and let me tell you that we have one of the rarer BMW's ;)

Bellicose Right Winger
06-28-2004, 03:24 PM
If you have heated seats, you should have a LSD. Both were part of the "Cold Weather" package. LSD's with 127k are often just plain worn out.

Paul Shovestul

I have a 93 525i 5 spd, but as far as I can tell, I don't have a limited slip diff. I mean, I might, but it seems to me that only one wheel spins when I light up the tires. I guess I've never gone back and looked at the marks from when I've done standing burnouts. DEFINITELY don't have ASC, I can tell ya that ;)
I can go climb under the car sometime and check the number on my diff to see for sure. Any markings that would indicate limited slip?

TWKenny (formerly Ted)
06-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Not trying to argue, but there was a good bit of talk a while back about Limited Slip and Heated seats. I have heated seats and an open diff...the only way to tell is to look at the plate on the diff or, jack it up and spin a wheel.

Bellicose Right Winger
06-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Interesting. No problem TWKenny (formerly Ted) ....this is a technical discussion group....we're suppose to point out inconsistencies, have differences of opinion and/or argue :) ! I must have missed that previous discussion. My '93 525iM 10/92 build has the "WEATHER PKG 2 $660" and ON-BOARD COMP $420 as the only options listed on the sticker and I have both heated seats and LSD. Perhaps WEATHER PKG 2 is different from the "COLD WEATHER PKG" terminology that I've seen somewhere.

Paul Shovestul

Not trying to argue, but there was a good bit of talk a while back about Limited Slip and Heated seats. I have heated seats and an open diff...the only way to tell is to look at the plate on the diff or, jack it up and spin a wheel.

Jeff N.
06-28-2004, 07:13 PM
My car has LSD (it was an option). I have seen others with heated seats and LSD - don't know if it was a package. Others have reported no LSD with heated seats. Um...that pretty much coveres the options you can get with the 535.

BTW, an LSD unit isn't really your friend in cold weather... while it may help you get going, it doesn't always help you stay going. In snow and ice, an inexperienced driver can swap ends faster than you can blink an eye...

Jeff

Interesting. No problem TWKenny (formerly Ted) ....this is a technical discussion group....we're suppose to point out inconsistencies, have differences of opinion and/or argue :) ! I must have missed that previous discussion. My '93 525iM 10/92 build has the "WEATHER PKG 2 $660" and ON-BOARD COMP $420 as the only options listed on the sticker and I have both heated seats and LSD. Perhaps WEATHER PKG 2 is different from the "COLD WEATHER PKG" terminology that I've seen somewhere.

Paul Shovestul

Bellicose Right Winger
06-29-2004, 06:36 AM
Hmmm....looks like they were separate options on my '90 535iA, 9/89 build. From the window sticker "LIMITED SLIP DIFF $400" and "HEATED FRONT SEATS $250". I suppose there's no point in offering heated seats in Hawaii or the lower half of the US. Makes you wonder why they decided to put them in a package though.

Valid points about LSD also. There's nothing worse for directional stability then having BOTH rear wheels spinning. In snow & ice, moving sideways is marginally better then not moving at all. They can be a handful in wet weather too. Inspite of this limitation I still prefer it and suspect most of us do.

Paul Shovestul

My car has LSD (it was an option). I have seen others with heated seats and LSD - don't know if it was a package. Others have reported no LSD with heated seats. Um...that pretty much coveres the options you can get with the 535.

BTW, an LSD unit isn't really your friend in cold weather... while it may help you get going, it doesn't always help you stay going. In snow and ice, an inexperienced driver can swap ends faster than you can blink an eye...

Jeff

DueyT
06-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Must be model specific. My Cdn-spec '95 540 has heated seats but an open rear (2.83). There was only one time where neither mode of ASC+T worked too well (1. standard - light out, or 2. DME-limited only...push ASC+T switch and hold for 10 secs, ASC wng light illuminates and power during spin is limited by DME control but the ABS portion of ASC+T is disabled). On very slick compressed snow with ice and salt slush, the tusty "coupla' notches" of e-brake worked well...

Cheers,
Duey

G Feller
06-29-2004, 10:54 AM
I posted this ASC+T mystery one day but got no response regarding what was up with the 10-second mode. I don't believe it is mentioned in my owner's manual.

Great to know, thanks. Might have to go try it out right now.

(1. standard - light out, or 2. DME-limited only...push ASC+T switch and hold for 10 secs, ASC wng light illuminates and power during spin is limited by DME control but the ABS portion of ASC+T is disabled)

DueyT
06-29-2004, 11:25 AM
I posted this ASC+T mystery one day but got no response regarding what was up with the 10-second mode. I don't believe it is mentioned in my owner's manual.

Great to know, thanks. Might have to go try it out right now.
Sorry, Greg...I must have missed your post earlier. In thruth, I think it was actually Bill R. who posted the "secret mode" of ASC+T. You're right...it isn't in the manual.

It is noticably different than full mode since there is lag in the DME reaction. Usually good for a squawk/short chirp of the rear tires before becoming more sedate. Let's people know you have some ponies under the hood but doesn't come across as a pimple-faced kid in an unloaded pick-up! :D

Cheers,
Duey

Bellicose Right Winger
06-29-2004, 12:32 PM
Cars with ASC+T are little different. My understanding is that BMW only allowed M3's and M5's to have LSD's AND ASC+T. It seems that BMW was reluctant to apply the brakes to only one rear wheel on cars with LSD's.

Paul Shovestul

Must be model specific. My Cdn-spec '95 540 has heated seats but an open rear (2.83). There was only one time where neither mode of ASC+T worked too well (1. standard - light out, or 2. DME-limited only...push ASC+T switch and hold for 10 secs, ASC wng light illuminates and power during spin is limited by DME control but the ABS portion of ASC+T is disabled). On very slick compressed snow with ice and salt slush, the tusty "coupla' notches" of e-brake worked well...

Cheers,
Duey