GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: differences in 5 speed vs. automatic

Default differences in 5 speed vs. automatic

So I can drive the car! It took all weekend, but I was able to drive to work today. I noticed some minor differences and wanted to make sure they were normal.

1) On my automatics, there was another 'button" on the accelerator. When you floored the accelerator, you could push further and feel that you were engagin a button that would cause the car to go faster. This is not in my 5 speed. Is it not included onthe 5-speed?

2) On my automatics, at 80 mph I would run about 3200 RPMs. It's not a huge difference, but on the 5 speed, i am running about 3500 RPMs at 80/

3) Did 5 speeds not come with ASC? or is this just for my particular model?

Oh and by the way, I don't need a new clutch. Everyone says this one is going strong. I do however need struts.

Unregistered Guest

<So I can drive the car! It took all weekend, but I was able to drive to work today. I noticed some minor differences and wanted to make sure they were normal.>

Its not clear, but are you talking about comparing a 5 speed MANUAL transmission to an AUTOMATIC Transmission?

<On my automatics, there was another 'button" on the accelerator. When you floored the accelerator, you could push further and feel that you were engagin a button that would cause the car to go faster. This is not in my 5 speed. Is it not included onthe 5-speed?>

Huh?! Almost all automatics have a *downshift button* under the accelerator when you floor it. What kind of Automatic transmission cars have you been driving? You obviously wouldn't have this "button" with a 5-speed MANUAL transmission....

<Did 5 speeds not come with ASC? or is this just for my particular model?>

ASC is an option on both Manual and Automatic transmission cars. My 90 535i/5-speed MANUAL tranny/95K car does not have ASC.

<Oh and by the way, I don't need a new clutch. Everyone says this one is going strong. I do however need struts.>

If that's the case, replace it. You may also want to have all your suspension bushings looked at to see if they need replacing.

the 'button' is a little sporty thing that gives your auto a manual feature. it drops the gear and lets you accelerate easier, just as if you were to drop it a gear in your manual and do the same thing. Its not on the manual cause you can do this yourself with the gears. downshifting is fun

the gearing ratio of the same gears are different (right guys?)

ive seen a few 5 speeds with asc in person, i think it was an option for any e34. the later ones I beleve. but i even saw them on the 88 750. they were standard on 95 e34's but an option for previous years.

the "button" you speak of is the transmission kick down switch. in an automatic car, it forces a downshift when engaged. as you have a manual, you have to do this yourself if you wanna engage the nitrous "button" as it were.

im not sure about the gearing on the manual 525i, but the rear end on automatic cars was geared kinda steep (4.10). i would have assumed that you would turn over less, but ill wait for somebody else to chime in on that.

asc may or may not have come on any random smattering of 525is, you might have just gotten one that doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rina120
    So I can drive the car! It took all weekend, but I was able to drive to work today. I noticed some minor differences and wanted to make sure they were normal.

1) On my automatics, there was another 'button" on the accelerator. When you floored the accelerator, you could push further and feel that you were engagin a button that would cause the car to go faster. This is not in my 5 speed. Is it not included onthe 5-speed?

2) On my automatics, at 80 mph I would run about 3200 RPMs. It's not a huge difference, but on the 5 speed, i am running about 3500 RPMs at 80/

3) Did 5 speeds not come with ASC? or is this just for my particular model?

Oh and by the way, I don't need a new clutch. Everyone says this one is going strong. I do however need struts.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by Phil M
    the gearing ratio of the same gears are different (right guys?)

ive seen a few 5 speeds with asc in person, i think it was an option for any e34. the later ones I beleve. but i even saw them on the 88 750. they were standard on 95 e34's but an option for previous years.
    the gearing on the manual 525i im certain is much less (like a 3.xx as opposed to the 4.1 on the automatic).

i don't know if they were standard on the 95, i drove a normally equipped 95 ia that didn't have an asc switch.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

i coulda sworn that i read somewhere that they were standard! oh well :/

my '93 525i 5-spd runs about 3500 at 80mph or so. Also, regarding the ASC, almost every manual trans. bmw in '93 had a limited slip diff instead of the ASC. I called BMW NA and got a production number for '93 525i 5-speeds, and let me tell you that we have one of the rarer BMW's
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

I have a 93 525i 5 spd, but as far as I can tell, I don't have a limited slip diff. I mean, I might, but it seems to me that only one wheel spins when I light up the tires. I guess I've never gone back and looked at the marks from when I've done standing burnouts. DEFINITELY don't have ASC, I can tell ya that
    I can go climb under the car sometime and check the number on my diff to see for sure. Any markings that would indicate limited slip?

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d
    my '93 525i 5-spd runs about 3500 at 80mph or so. Also, regarding the ASC, almost every manual trans. bmw in '93 had a limited slip diff instead of the ASC. I called BMW NA and got a production number for '93 525i 5-speeds, and let me tell you that we have one of the rarer BMW's
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

If you have heated seats, you should have a LSD. Both were part of the "Cold Weather" package. LSD's with 127k are often just plain worn out.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by DanDombrowski
    I have a 93 525i 5 spd, but as far as I can tell, I don't have a limited slip diff. I mean, I might, but it seems to me that only one wheel spins when I light up the tires. I guess I've never gone back and looked at the marks from when I've done standing burnouts. DEFINITELY don't have ASC, I can tell ya that
    I can go climb under the car sometime and check the number on my diff to see for sure. Any markings that would indicate limited slip?
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Not trying to argue, but there was a good bit of talk a while back about Limited Slip and Heated seats. I have heated seats and an open diff...the only way to tell is to look at the plate on the diff or, jack it up and spin a wheel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast