PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Springs

iainand
06-10-2006, 12:16 PM
OK guys today i replaced my broken drivers side spring, with a set of 40mm lowering springs up front, but on trying to do the rears, i cant get the lower shock mount to come off. HELP any tips for removing the lower shock mount??? i removed the whole rear seat, loosened the top mount nuts, took ages to get the rear seat back rest out but got there in the end.

i got the bolt out no problem, but the shock is stuck firmly in place.

other than this the car looks good, front nice and even now, both low!! no noise from the suspension now either, and not too firm.

Kalevera
06-10-2006, 12:59 PM
A little heat, large prybar, PB Blaster, and sometimes, a big hammer. These days, when they're really rusty, I usually spend some time on it with an air hammer.

Read my writeup for other ideas: http://www.bmw4life.com/suspensionLowellRA.htm

joshua43214
06-10-2006, 01:12 PM
i got the bolt out no problem, but the shock is stuck firmly in place.

Bolt as in the lower bolt? All three nuts removed from the top? hit it with a mallet to drop it out if its stuck, but it should just fall out.

iainand
06-11-2006, 01:49 PM
finally got the shocker off, undid 1 dog-bone bolt, to let trailing arm fall down a bit more, used a puller on lower shock mount, and finally off it came

other side was much easier, the shocker took the sleeve inside rubber bush with it, done in minutes!!!

old rear springs must have been sagging a fair bit, the 40mm lowering ones are about the same height!

car rides much better now, corners a lot better, and without a broken front spring is much quieter too! and thankfully not too hard or harsh