PDA

View Full Version : obnoxious squealing

Hypr5
02-11-2006, 12:14 AM
hey guys,

When its cold out, or on some cold starts, the ol' m20 squeals like crazy when I try to drive off. Not at idle, just when hitting the gas.

I've replaced all belts, water pump, fan clutch...it still does this
it's extremely loud - and sometimes doesn't stop for quite a while. What could cause this?

I thought it was the PS pump, and I replaced the fluid in it - but no luck.

Any ideas??
thanks!

wingman
02-11-2006, 12:22 AM
The only thing I can think of is belt tension being effected by the temperature but I'm sure you've already covered this aspect. Changing the fluid in the PS pump wont solve your problem.

wingman
02-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Just another thought. What about worn bearings up front? I see that you've replaced a heap of things though.

632 Regal
02-11-2006, 12:38 AM
exactly, with belts off turn and twist the idler pulleys and feel for bad stuff, same with the steering pump and the waterpump...any roughness or non smoothnmedd should show you the problem

Hypr5
02-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Well I changed the PS fluid because the pump was squealing at high rpm. (similar squeal,butnot quite the same)... the fluid change fixed THAT problem.

Bearings.... Alternator, AC compressor.... how in the world should I go about checking those???

Thanks for the idea!

632 Regal
02-11-2006, 01:00 AM
remove the belt and twist and turn the pullys, anything feelinf funky usually is.

liquidtiger720
02-11-2006, 01:11 AM
remove the belt and twist and turn the pullys, anything feelinf funky usually is.

I used one of those things that light up with vibrations. I have no clue what its called. But I let the engine run, and stick the thing on various parts trying to determine the squealing/noise/vibration. I jackpotted right on the pully's.

GAM
02-11-2006, 08:50 AM
to isolate the problem to the pulley.

I used one of those things that light up with vibrations. I have no clue what its called. But I let the engine run, and stick the thing on various parts trying to determine the squealing/noise/vibration. I jackpotted right on the pully's.