GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: new tie rods.... how long till allignment?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Don't Wait - Align the wheels once you are done

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJCaputo
    I'm going to be replacing left & right tie rods this weekend..... if I adjust the new ones similar to the old ones.... how long can I put off getting an alignment...

reason is... I'm going to be getting new tires soon, and I'd like to have it alligned when I get the tires...

I guess if it pulls real hard one way or the other I'll be more inclined to get it alligned sooner....

hope this takes out a lot of the play (crossing my fingers)

I just replaced and all I did was count exposed threads... i mean really, we're not talking THAT fine of adjustment... the tie rod can face down, so you only have so many pieces of thread... count thread before and after, i did, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    I just replaced and all I did was count exposed threads... i mean really, we're not talking THAT fine of adjustment... the tie rod can face down, so you only have so many pieces of thread... count thread before and after, i did, no problems.
    Erm.. When you adjust a tie rod, you don't do it in 360º increments because one end can 'only face down' - you loosen both clamps and turn the bar itself, the adjustment increment is infinite - counting threads is only a good way to get you 'almost' in the right place, but it's by no means whatsoever accurate. If you're just replacing one end; sure - but we're talking whole rods here.

Plus you're counting on the new rods being of the exact same length, and the new ends having identical threading, which is a bit much to ask for even an OE part.

Really, just pop the $50 for an alignment - it was probably out to begin with anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
    Erm.. When you adjust a tie rod, you don't do it in 360º increments because one end can 'only face down' - you loosen both clamps and turn the bar itself, the adjustment increment is infinite - counting threads is only a good way to get you 'almost' in the right place, but it's by no means whatsoever accurate. If you're just replacing one end; sure - but we're talking whole rods here.

Plus you're counting on the new rods being of the exact same length, and the new ends having identical threading, which is a bit much to ask for even an OE part.

Really, just pop the $50 for an alignment - it was probably out to begin with anyhow.

I will pop the $50 for an alignment, however i used a thread chaser and measured shaft length on new and old rod ends, both lemforder, and they were identical. i only replaced the one end of the tie rod joint, the one closest to the wheel. this, so i've seen on many cars, is the one most likely to fail. thus replacement is really not all that difficult. but, yes, i will be getting an alignment and balance anyhow.

Default Mobius,

Your right about only being able to turn them in 360º incriments but after its close you turn the sleeve that does the fine adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy