GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel odor update: advice welcome

Default Fuel odor update: advice welcome

Well I posted a few days back about a noticeable fuel smell in the garage after the 540i was parked and the smell seemed to be coming from the right rear (a likely place.) I finally got the wife away long enough today to look around. The expansion tank fittings look okay, as does the filler neck and the drain tube. The lines to the fuel filter look okay, and the "t" fittings in and out of the fuel filters are ugly but don't appear to be leaking. ( One thing concerns me: the outboard side of the filters say "out"- which I'm not really sure about but I thought that should be "in"- This is the first time I've looked at them since I've owned the car. )

I'm going to remove the fuel pump cover and check that out but please take a look at these pix and offer and sage advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

The expansion tank:
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

the expansion tank fittings
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

Fuel filter fittings
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

And the inboard side
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

My parents had a fuel odor on their 525i and it was a fuel hose of some sort. I will try to get the info for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Well I posted a few days back about a noticeable fuel smell in the garage after the 540i was parked and the smell seemed to be coming from the right rear (a likely place.) I finally got the wife away long enough today to look around. The expansion tank fittings look okay, as does the filler neck and the drain tube. The lines to the fuel filter look okay, and the "t" fittings in and out of the fuel filters are ugly but don't appear to be leaking. ( One thing concerns me: the outboard side of the filters say "out"- which I'm not really sure about but I thought that should be "in"- This is the first time I've looked at them since I've owned the car. )

I'm going to remove the fuel pump cover and check that out but please take a look at these pix and offer and sage advice.

Update: fuel pump area and fittings are ship shape.

New question: lets say I just bought some fuel hose and replace the fuel filter fittings- is there any way to depressurize and otherwise stop excess fuel flow while I'm at it. Should I disconnect the hose that goes to the fuel rail, and let it drain back?
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

This might seem like a dumb question, but have you tested the fuel cap? Might not be holding the seal anymore. Ohio EPA pressure tests it every year for me...whether I want them to or not

put on your swimming gear and dive in, You could pinch the rubber lines with hemo's or vice grips to stop some of the flow but I dont think youll walk away clean. Looks like it is leaking a bit on the inbord side of the filters some but not that bad. You might want to inspect the entire line along the bottom, maybe it has a pinhole that only leaks when the fuel is pressurized.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Tim, granted I've got a 535, but I changed my fuel filter and the surrounding fuel lines yesterday. Pressure wasn't a big deal, just have a drain pan ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast