GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: How would you break up a 1700mi trip?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • One 24hr run

4 18.18%
  • Two 12hr stretches with a break

4 18.18%
  • Same as two, but with a hotel/sleep stop.

14 63.64%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sot poll: how to break up a 1700 mi drive

Default sot poll: how to break up a 1700 mi drive

I have to do it in March, from Dallas to Connecticut when I move. I have my wife, two kids and dog, which will all fit in my e39 touring. The e34 is being shipped with the stuff, safe and sound, covered (sigh). The mileage is about 1700 mi. I figure that averages to about 24hrs of drive time. So how would you do it? Assume all the usual pro's and cons, accounting for the variables. Any commentary, or expressions of sympathy are welcome. And what if anything should I do to the car ('99 e39 540it 77k mi) in prep?
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

actually, I'd try to make a road trip / vac. out of it. Take my time and try to enjoy it. Maybe spend 3 or 4 days on the road? Just a thought.

thats a LOT of miles, even if you figure an average speed of 50mph, which would be realistic with the stops, chow, bathroom your looking at about 34 hours. I dont think you can squeek that in 24 hours. I would break it into 2 or 3 days and like Beez said make a trip/vaca out of it. Or let them haul the e39 and just fly
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default That's alot of miles.......

Make a nice 3-4 day vacation out of it.......nice drive, less stress.

Either that, or give the wife and kids some Nyquil, pop some No-Doz and a pot of coffee and knock it out.....just watch out for the troopers.....lol

Default Although in my distan past i used to routinely do the

30 plus hour runs straight, nowdays i'd go along with the rest and drive a leisurely 8 or so hours a day and do some siteseeing along the way and make a little vacation out of it...The trip would be a lot more memorable and enjoyable this way...

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    I have to do it in March, from Dallas to Connecticut when I move. I have my wife, two kids and dog, which will all fit in my e39 touring. The e34 is being shipped with the stuff, safe and sound, covered (sigh). The mileage is about 1700 mi. I figure that averages to about 24hrs of drive time. So how would you do it? Assume all the usual pro's and cons, accounting for the variables. Any commentary, or expressions of sympathy are welcome. And what if anything should I do to the car ('99 e39 540it 77k mi) in prep?

I have to agree with Jeff, your estimate is low re: 24 hours, especially with kids. I'd try to find someplace interesting (a National Park or the 'World's Largest Ball of String") about halfway to take a break, relax and see something new.
    My sister and bro-in-law have a DVD player in their minivan and tell me their three kids stay entertained/distracted/manageable on trips between DC and FL -which is saying something if you knew these kids.
    Regarding the car I'd carry an extra quart of oil or two, coolant and water, flashlight, extra belt/s and make sure the car is up to the task of course.
    Good luck!

I figured an average of 70mph or so (80 while driving, with stops averaged in). 1700/70= 24 hours 28 minutes.

Complicating the scenario in which we stop at an attraction, we have our beloved dog (do motel 6 and such allow dogs like a 75lb black lab?)

And we have to beat the movers themselves, who figure on delivering the third day after we move-72hrs

She who must be obeyed had decreed a max of 60hrs.

Only a question of how.

The only other possibility is if I send the rest of the family by air, and do the trip with me in left seat with my dog as wingman, sort of a cannonball run. Could be more fun that way.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

If you're short on time --Without the kids, I would do it straight through with my wife. However I have an 8 and 4 year old so from experience I would do the 12, leave really early while they're stilll in pajamas, have a DVD player in the car (under $200 for portables now) and stop at at hotel with a pool around dinner that way you can eat have a few beers and relax.. You bribe them with the pool thing all day and threaten to stay at motel 6 without a pool if they don't behave. Comfort Suites takes dogs. Otherwise if you have the time make a vacation out of it.
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

Quote Originally Posted by scott540
    ...You bribe them with the pool thing all day and threaten to stay at motel 6 without a pool if they don't behave...
    brilliant!
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

I cruised from Austin to Boston with friend of mine. Drove the entire way with barely any sleep, we slept for 18hrs when we got there. Woke up feeling the best i ever had. And we weren't too terribly tired when we arrived.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast