GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Engine pulsing

Default Engine pulsing

When the car is accelerating normaly, usually in 2nd or 3rd (automatic) you can hear a pulsing noise from the engine. The MPG guage swings back and forth and the RPM's increase by 250 each swing by the MPG.

It has recently got worse and was hoping I could find out what it was before the car just stops or is undriveable.

Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m5maniac2001
    When the car is accelerating normaly, usually in 2nd or 3rd (automatic) you can hear a pulsing noise from the engine. The MPG guage swings back and forth and the RPM's increase by 250 each swing by the MPG.

It has recently got worse and was hoping I could find out what it was before the car just stops or is undriveable.
    What about the idle? Pulsating while idle usually means your o2 sensor is bad or you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

It is fine at idling, just when accelerating from a stop or getting up to speed on the Interstate. It is fine while crusing too.

Quote Originally Posted by m5maniac2001
    It is fine at idling, just when accelerating from a stop or getting up to speed on the Interstate. It is fine while crusing too.
    Check your injectors, spark plugs and do the stomp test - maybe error codes (if any) will tell you what's going on.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

I had a similar problem to yours. My car would pulse ~1000 rpm's when accelerating from a stop but settle down at speed. I never did look at the mpg gauge when it happened. So from what it was for me was a vaccum leak. Of all things, it was a small hose from the intake to the ICV. How that messes things up while accelerating. I dont know. I clamped the end of the hose shut with a few of those metal clamps and it seems fine now. I'll have to replace it someday. So after you check what interceptor said to, look for small vaccum leaks.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip