GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E34 has vibration after replacing front struts

Default E34 has vibration after replacing front struts

I just replaced my front struts on my 1995 540I. The KYB inserts that were in there were blown (completely). I replaced them with Bilstien touring inserts. After replacing them I noticed a audible vibration noise that I feel ever so slightly in the wheel. The sound seems to resignate and shoot down the car. It almost sounds like I have a can of fix a flat in my tires. The vibration noise continues all the way up to the higher speeds and does not go away. ANy suggestions? I see talks about thrust arm bushings, but how do you check these?

Lol....your car had KYB's?! How did it ride when they worked?

Problem could be anything. Messed up toe? I had a similar issue with my old tires - they had flat spots. First, I'd check that everything was installed correctly, though. Especially that, if whoever installed the shockers unloaded the thrust or control arms, they retorqued them under load. But I would suspect a faulty install, bad strut mounts, or something like that at first...

Good luck!

Best, Whit

Don't forget to check the center link and tie rods.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Default I did check these

Quote Originally Posted by MBXB
    Don't forget to check the center link and tie rods.
    I did check these and they are real tight. o play what so ever. My vibration is more of a noise. It sounds like deep heavy muffled road noise with a very very minor vibration.

Does it track alright? Doesn't sound like bushings, sounds like a bearing or perhaps some crud got behind one of the wheels before it was put back on and it's not on straight.

Not sure what else it could be...something rubbing on a wheel perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by pappapaul
    I just replaced my front struts on my 1995 540I. The KYB inserts that were in there were blown (completely). I replaced them with Bilstien touring inserts. After replacing them I noticed a audible vibration noise that I feel ever so slightly in the wheel. The sound seems to resignate and shoot down the car. It almost sounds like I have a can of fix a flat in my tires. The vibration noise continues all the way up to the higher speeds and does not go away. ANy suggestions? I see talks about thrust arm bushings, but how do you check these?
    Let me know if you find the solution! I am having virtually the exact same problem after replacing the stock Boge's with KYB inserts.

The KYB's work very well by the way. My 535 does not dive in the corners at all now.

This might have nothing to do with the new shock install...

It'll be something at the bottom of your struts causing this, as before you installed the new shockers the noise was just dissipating into the springs.

Now you've installed working shocks, the vibration is being transmitted up the shock tower into the bodywork... so your car has probably been making this noise for a while, you've just not noticed it due to the defunct shocks.

If your KYBs were completely blown, then it is likely you have sustained damage to one or all of your control arms. The shocks protect the control arms, and yours had no protection. I'd bet your hearing a ball joint. If you have your own tools I would raise the car and remove the strut assembly (not too big a deal), then you can wiggle the ball joints around and should be able to find the culprit.

did you put any oil in the strut cartridge? Sure the strut collars are tight enough?

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I am curious to know what kind of mileage is on the tires at the time of the work. I wonder if the poor posture of your suspension caused a wear pattern that is aggravated at speed by the fresh stance.
    six forward speeds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast