GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Instrument cluster lights

Default Instrument cluster lights

Hello chaps! Can anyone tell me how I ca replace the turn indicator tell-tale light behind the green aro in the cluster?
    Davy

Default Remove the steering wheel....

Quote Originally Posted by Davy
    Hello chaps! Can anyone tell me how I ca replace the turn indicator tell-tale light behind the green aro in the cluster?
    Davy
    Pry off the BMW emblem with a small flathead

I believe its a 22mm (7/8" works well) deep socket, or shorty with an extension to remove the nut.

Pull the wheel off, cover the steering column, levers/toggles etc. with a rag.

With a small philips, remove the two screws at the top of the cluster. Lean down and look up, you'll see a metal tag with the two screws.

Now is the only semi-tricky part. Tilt the cluster gently forward and shimmy it out far enough to remove the wire harnesses from behind. Now, keep pulling it forward/down to squeeze it out of its confines.

Flip it over to find a plethora of little bits. I didn't change any bulbs, so cannot provide any input, except for the link below, which may help with part numbers.

Cluster Parts Diagram

Good Luck
    Last edited by Dave M; 01-30-2005 at 08:00 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default Note: If you have an airbag, it is different!

If you turn the wheel to the left a little bit, you can get it out from the left
    side. There is JUST enough room to pull it out. It is advised to pull off the odometer reser button and obc buttons before you try squeezing it out. Also have to disconnect the 4 connectors in the back. This should work or at least did on my 92 525 that had an airbag. I didnt take the wheel off. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Pry off the BMW emblem with a small flathead

I believe its a 22mm (7/8" works well) deep socket, or shorty with an extension to remove the nut.

Pull the wheel off, cover the steering column, levers/toggles etc. with a rag.

With a small philips, remove the two screws at the top of the cluster. Lean down and look up, you'll see a metal tag with the two screws.

Now is the only semi-tricky part. Tilt the cluster gently forward and shimmy it out far enough to remove the wire harnesses from behind. Now, keep pulling it forward/down to squeeze it out of its confines.

Flip it over to find a plethora of little bits. I didn't change any bulbs, so cannot provide any input, except for the link below, which may help with part numbers.

Cluster Parts Diagram

Good Luck
    Many thanks for the responses. The Dave, parts diagram and Shogun's photos are really very helpful. Thanks also to Lorcet, I'll see how I get on. Nice to know there is help out there!