GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Air intake install (with pics)

Default Cold Air intake install (with pics)

A few days ago I finally installed a cold air intake Mod for the BMW e34. I don't know what you guys think, but I can get by on one high beam light. I very rarely use it to begin with anyway.

I'm not replacing the air box or installing a pod style fiter. Just increasing the amount of cold air entering the engine. The stock air filer is staying.

The intake now comprises of PVC piping 80mm (the size of the stock air box opening) opening towards 100mm at the front. A speaker grill acts as a screen. The right highbeam light is now gone. The intake is not supported to the light harness (it's not attached to the harness).

To keep the piping together I drilled a small hole and used some computer case screws to hold it together. Two screws in each 3 parts of the intake (where the two pipes join). It cost maybe AUS$50 all up in materials to make. The parts that where most expensive where 80mm to 100mm PVC pipe - $25, 80mm to 80mm (joiner?) - $8 etc.......

The intake seems solidly supported.

Initial testing shows no noticeable difference in power (then again to notice more power you would proably have to create 10% more right?). High beam with only one light works fine at night. Took about 3 – 4 hours in labour.

Attacking / installing / removing the front grills now seem easy. Front clears should be no worries. It's different. I like the look of it.

Anyone know of a better grill (100mm) that I could replace for the speaker grill? To act as a filter for the intake?

What power / torque figures could I expect with this setup and an EAT chip (m30) on 98 RON,.

Please guys, comment and suggestions welcome.

Regards

Kristian
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    intake mods
    I can see the paperclip symbol, but I don't see the pix! How do I view them?
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

no errors about your high beam being broken?
    on teh dash computer?

nope. everythings fine in that regard.

Default one pic

I got to run right now, I can get the other pics on later..

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

the black eye kinda makes it look sleeperish...cool. With it setup like that you will have to knock sand outta the filter every other day from it flying in directly when you follow other cars and stuff.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Wow BigKriss, you're serious enough about the breathing that you'd sacrifice a headlight? I have an open cone K&N and I removed the plastic panel behind the headlights. I'm concerned of water getting in at high-speed/heavy rain so I'm careful not to rev too much in those conditions and vaccuming in trouble...your intake so much more exposed, aren't you concerened of that?

King Of NYC

birds can blow turbines in jets, wonder what they would do getting sucked into that contraption
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I can't see how particles of any signifcant size are going to enter engine with this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    birds can blow turbines in jets, wonder what they would do getting sucked into that contraption

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast