GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipod installations??

Default Ipod installations??

Anyone have their ipod connected to their E34. I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas or done this before I attempt. Was planning on waiting for the new Alpine 2005 Headunits and use the IPod interface.

i have a nakamichi CD-400, and i connected an RCA-headphone cable to my ipod, and bought a leather cover for my 3rd gen ipod, and it fits nicely in the console next to the e-brake.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Quote Originally Posted by InfernoM3
    Anyone have their ipod connected to their E34. I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas or done this before I attempt. Was planning on waiting for the new Alpine 2005 Headunits and use the IPod interface.
    I use an iPod 20 GB with my E34, and it fits perfectly behind the EBrake, between the seats. I use a Griffin FM modulator, which sits above the iPod, and makes it the perfect size to fit in that hole.

I got the iPod instead of the CD changer... my car has the stock AM/FM cassette. I keep a cassette adapter, and a iPod ciglighter adpter around.

Tell me more about the Alpine Headunit...

What works best? The FM modulator or the cassette adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by K_Po_Uno
    I use an iPod 20 GB with my E34, and it fits perfectly behind the EBrake, between the seats. I use a Griffin FM modulator, which sits above the iPod, and makes it the perfect size to fit in that hole.

I got the iPod instead of the CD changer... my car has the stock AM/FM cassette. I keep a cassette adapter, and a iPod ciglighter adpter around.

Tell me more about the Alpine Headunit...
    1995 E34 540i Manual Limited Edition -- #50 out of 70 Australian RHD. Have owned 3 x E34 535i 5 speeds and E36 328i 5 speed (in the US), and a 1982 E28 528i, RHD Australian Euro-type 5 Speed.

I have the Belkin FM transmitter and it does not work well at all. To get a clear sound from it I have to hold the transmitter near the fog light switch. That doesn't work well when driving. I decided to go with the casette adapter for now until a better solution comes along.
    ProClipUSA has some neat mounting options for the ipod. I ordered one for my car but it is on back order. I'll get it in about 1.5 weeks. I'll post some pics once I get it setup.

Quote Originally Posted by rph
    What works best? The FM modulator or the cassette adapter?
    I've got a good FM modulator. It works in my car and the car next to me, which can come in handy for a joke.

It's called the Griffin iTrip, and it sits atop the iPod 20GB. I use the cassette some, but it's noisier, and I don't like wires....

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/

K Po,

Does the Griffin work anywhere in the car or only when placed in certain locations as I found with the Belkin?

Also, I have the Belkin Auto Kit which consists of a charger that plugs into the ipod's docking port. The "feature" of this is that it has a headphone jack at the charger end that I plug my cassette adapter into. This "feature" adds the dreaded engine whine to the audio. Looking at reviews on Amazon.com, other owners of the Belkin Auto Kit have found the same engine whine. I will be using the headphone jack on the ipod instead from now on.

Default changer controller adapters

this ipod deal sounds kinda interesting. I might buy this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2O0IAx8...00&I=113CAC1AX

then i'll hook an ipod up to it through that. should sound good. there probably are adapters for different brand head units as well

I use the simple, but effective, tape adapter. I agree that the noise from it is a little high and the car cant seem to decide whether or not it is a metal or a regular tape, but it gets the job done. I had an FM transmitter but it was awful (the Belkin one). I dont really want to disconnect the CD changer and have to run a wire from the trunk up to the driver's side. My iPod just sits in the cup holder that I bought from the stealer. Good luck and let us all know what you end up with!

Brian

I use my Rio Carbon (simuliar to a Ipod Mini) through my line driver. I took the ashtray out and replaced it with a 89 dollar clarion eq/line driver. It has aux outputs in the back and a switch in the front. Works like a charm, and the cord is awesome cause the MP3 player is easily seen, instead of it being held in something.

I will attach a couple of pictures if I can figure out how in the hell to attach them.
    A Young Man with a Plan
    ericbendler@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast