GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the v8s seem to be sucking gaskets more often now

Default the v8s seem to be sucking gaskets more often now

just did the 3rd set in as many weeks, right after a cold start spray some carb cleaner under the intake, if the idle changes it's time for a set of gaskets and while your at it a pcv plate. if your getting lotsa check engine codes and or a crappy idle it's a good chance it's leaking, i've been seeing 02 sensor 1 and 2, 02 sensor control 1 and 2, hot film airmass sensor and a few other codes i can't think of at the moment with these leaks
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

what the mileage on these gasket cases? I;m at 88k

gyad it's great seeing ou get pummled...it won't be christmas until sc gets at least 60 points

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

it seems to be age as some of these have been done once allready by looking at the date codes molded into the lower gaskets, the 95 740il i did today had 98 gaskets probably done 99-00 as 98 was when they were made

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    what the mileage on these gasket cases? I;m at 88k

gyad it's great seeing ou get pummled...it won't be christmas until sc gets at least 60 points
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

*note to self - stay away from BMW V8 engines (?)*
    '91 535iM - SOLD

'01 325iM - PP . SP . CWP . HK . SSK . ZHP springs . Konis . M3 strut bar . OEM sirius and aux . TMS sways

3 sets in 150K miles on my 94 530i. Same symptoms as what Winfred mentioned..........if you have erratic idle good chance they're bad....they get hard as rocks from the heat....and as your also in Texas..bet yours probably need attention....be sure to search for Winfreds tips on procedure, makes it bearable. Beutiful Touring by the way.
    Callen

Kamil...water pumps, head gaskets, timing belts, VANOS bits...are 8's the only engines with problems?

I never grew up on the sound of a big 6, but I did on V8's...I suppose I'm a bit nostalgic...that, and silky torque and 300+ hp is worth the pain and disappointment I might feel in the future. "Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all."

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

you are right on the money Duey.... silky smooth torque..... ya baby!!!!! mine is away for the winter, and i could use a torque blast right about now as a pick me up!
    my 1990 honda civic just cannot deliver!!!
    torque is like heroin.... highly addictive!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Chris, you can live vicariously through me and my during the winter!

I love torque...my TDI gives it to me from about 0-30 , the 540 from 0-something fast, and the Charger w/440 is just plain torque at its most raw!...

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Did my Intake manifold gaskets and PCV Plate at 160k. Once you are in you may as well do the Plate. She runs like a raped ape. Gotta love those 8's on the highway. Long legs that dont quit. - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Quote Originally Posted by DueyT
    Kamil...water pumps, head gaskets, timing belts, VANOS bits...are 8's the only engines with problems?

I never grew up on the sound of a big 6, but I did on V8's...I suppose I'm a bit nostalgic...that, and silky torque and 300+ hp is worth the pain and disappointment I might feel in the future. "Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all."

Cheers,
    Duey

I grew up on sounds of an japanesse 4-cyl, so I'm quite happy with the big 6 noises, even with a few rusty "speed holes" in the muffler.
    '91 535iM - SOLD

'01 325iM - PP . SP . CWP . HK . SSK . ZHP springs . Konis . M3 strut bar . OEM sirius and aux . TMS sways

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast