GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: Chevy truck rear brakes question

Default OT: Chevy truck rear brakes question

I'm helping a friend do the rear brakes on his 98 Suburban tomorrow. I'm going to replace the outer wheel bearing seals since the shoes are soaked on one side. I did this a long time ago on a 72 Chevy van. Is the design still the same as the old axles with a retainer clip inside the differential on the ring gear/spider gear carrier? Same whether it's an LSD or open diff?

Thanks

Default pretty much the same,

the newer posi's have the mark twain type of posi, a shitload of little breakable watch sized gears and such but you can get the c clips out. It isnt as easy as the old style but still do-able, after you pop the axles out its the same deal, pop in your claw hammer to pull the seal, silicone the new one, make a block of wood to fit pound it in and you will be done in an hour if everything fairs well.

Good luck!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

it was that way on the bosses 96 burb
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default so I am on the same page...cool

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    it was that way on the bosses 96 burb
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Don, when i look in the fsm everything they show for a 98 sub is

either full floating or semifloating, both ways it doesn't show the c clip type,
    it shows the splined axles that bolt in from the wheel hub.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I'm helping a friend do the rear brakes on his 98 Suburban tomorrow. I'm going to replace the outer wheel bearing seals since the shoes are soaked on one side. I did this a long time ago on a 72 Chevy van. Is the design still the same as the old axles with a retainer clip inside the differential on the ring gear/spider gear carrier? Same whether it's an LSD or open diff?

Thanks

Default Thanks, that's exactly like this one was . . .

Didn't have to mess with the "watch mechanism". Pulled the cover off & unscrewed the retainer pin for the spider gear shaft & the rest was almost exactly like my 72 Chevy, deja vu all over again.

Lost my a$$ on bidding this job, figured I could do it in 2.5 hrs, wrong -- took close to 6 hrs after making a run back to Autozone to get the right size seals. The rest of the job was pretty much routine. What a pain working on rear drum brakes with all the springs & adjuster mechanism. Glad our bimmers have disks all around.

gale

Default 98 subs have disc's on the rear as an option too.. : )

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Didn't have to mess with the "watch mechanism". Pulled the cover off & unscrewed the retainer pin for the spider gear shaft & the rest was almost exactly like my 72 Chevy, deja vu all over again.

Lost my a$$ on bidding this job, figured I could do it in 2.5 hrs, wrong -- took close to 6 hrs after making a run back to Autozone to get the right size seals. The rest of the job was pretty much routine. What a pain working on rear drum brakes with all the springs & adjuster mechanism. Glad our bimmers have disks all around.

gale