GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EAT chip fuel economy?

Default EAT chip fuel economy?

I'm probably jumping the gun a bit here (don't even own an E34 yet!) but I was wondering, that with normal driving (535i -auto), would one expect any improvement in fuel economy versus the standard ECU chip? Better? Worse? No difference? Has this been ever accurately documented? - Cheers

Default I've seen a long term improvement of about 1.5mpg...

Mine is an '89 535i manual. It also is much better driving, with faster acceleration. Not a bad combination. On a recent 2500 mile round trip through the Rocky Mountains, it averaged 26mpg, highway.

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    I'm probably jumping the gun a bit here (don't even own an E34 yet!) but I was wondering, that with normal driving (535i -auto), would one expect any improvement in fuel economy versus the standard ECU chip? Better? Worse? No difference? Has this been ever accurately documented? - Cheers

Default At least the same!

My fuel economy with my 525i has stayed about the same. However, the car runs much better, less downshifitng and more power when you need it. I used Chevron 93 octane before the EAT chip. Mine will get a little better performance/gas mileage with higher octane because of the knock sensors.

I have also noticed that if I drive the car hard, mileage will drop a bit more than before. Not unexpected. I aslo average around 27-29 at highway speeds on a trip. Average intown/highway mix during my daily commute is 22-24 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

EAT chip in a 90 535 5 speed. Great performance, mileage for every day driving around 20-21 mpg. All Freeway around 25.
    Ted K
    90 535 5-speed

Default still time to order for Christamas and save gas!

If you don't have an E.A.T. chip, there is still time to order and get one this week. (I'll ship by Fedex) In almost all 535's and 525's you will see a 3 to 5% decrease (improvement) in fuel consumption, but many have seen a slightly better saving.

MarkD
    Last edited by MarkD; 12-20-2004 at 07:55 AM.

Default Just to clarify, I am certain what Mark is saying is

your fuel *usage* will decrease by 3 to 5%, and that your mpg will increase. Mine certainly did in my 1991 525i by 1.5 to 2 mpg, along with a smoother idle and acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD
    If you don't have an E.A.T. chip, there is still time to order and get one this week. (I'll ship by Fedex) In almost all 535's and 525's you will see a 3 to 5% fuel decrease, but many have seen a slightly higher saving.

MarkD

Default Mark, I emailed you a few days ago about ordering...

a chip for my 525i. Did you not receive it?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    your fuel *usage* will decrease by 3 to 5%, and that your mpg will increase. Mine certainly did in my 1991 525i by 1.5 to 2 mpg, along with a smoother idle and acceleration.
    Thanks Dick,
    I wrote that in the middle of the night when I woke up to turn down the thermostat, and made a detour to see what was happening in the forum. (and didn't proof read it). I edited the post and it should be clear now.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Sanderson
    a chip for my 525i. Did you not receive it?

Phil
    Hello Phil,

I received it, but was not able to respond yet. I'll do that in a few hours.

Thanks

Mark

16 MPG City
    21 MPG Highway

Im not sure if this is normal, but its about all I can muster out of my car. EAT Chip / Automatic trans 90 535i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast