GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bavarian Auto Springs and Bilsten HD's??

Default Bavarian Auto Springs and Bilsten HD's??

I've searched to no avail, and the bmwe34.net site doesn't cover this setup. I have a 1990 535iA and I don't know which struts to get, but it would be nice to have the bilstein lifetime warranty... Will the bilstein hd's and bav auto springs work together?

Why are bavarian auto springs so cheap? Any problems with them sagging?

thanks in advance

bil springs are crap.
    do not buy them for any reason.
    that being said get bil hd's and a set
    of eibach lowering springs
    it'll work better, be comfy, and look good.

I had a 530 with BavAuto springs and Bilstein Sports all around. I finally changed the front struts to Koni and it was fine after that. The Bav Auto Springs are fairly soft. Eibach is a better choice. I recommend using Koni in the front at a minimum if not all the way around.

For what its worth, the HD shocks are for stock length springs. The sports are for short springs. Still the sports will bottom out without having the bumpstops trimmed and for the life of me I can't figure out why Bilstein does not fix this at the factory. It is pretty widely acknowledged that this is a fault.

My current 535 has Eibach / Koni and it is very, very nice and has adjustability. You should seriously look into the Sachs sporting kit available from BMA and others. It works and is engineered for the E34. Comes with special Eibach springs and Sachs gas sport shocks.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

Bavauto springs get the job done cheap. They give your car a good stance. But they are soft and if you have alot of potholes, you will bottom out. Also, they don't add any cornering stability because they are so soft. That said, they don't ride harsh either. Alot of people think they are crap, I have them paired with new Boges and I don't hate them. But I didn't want a harsh ride either. I mean, I have a 525, it aint gonna beat noone at nuthin except style.

Default Bilstein HD / Eibach vs Sachs

Quote Originally Posted by bahnstormer
    bil springs are crap.
    do not buy them for any reason.
    that being said get bil hd's and a set
    of eibach lowering springs
    it'll work better, be comfy, and look good.
    Since you are running the Sach's Kit, do you recommend the Bil/Eibach setup over the Sachs?

I have a pair of sachs kit performance front struts (from a sachs kit). One is brand new and the other has 5000 miles on it. They retail for $179 each from BMA and I would sell both of them together too you for $125 shipped. You could use those with the eibach lowering springs and get 2 rear struts and have yourself a nice kit with a decent saved amount of money.
    95 BMW 525i black/black
    -E.A.T. chip
    -Blacked out grill and window trim
    -17in AC replicas
    -Blistein shocks & H&R springs
    -Cadmium plated Brembo rotors
    -Raybestos QS break pads

No no no no no no. The previous owner of my car put this combo on the car and IT DOES NOT WORK. The car bottoms out constantly and it's really really irritating. If you get the Bav Auto springs get the Sports.

I'll be replacing both this winter/spring.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

My Bil Sports and Bav Auto springs are a big improvement over the stock setup. My car corners with much less body roll with this setup. The only time I encounter bottom out is when I fail to slow down for RR crossings and bad road irregularities. I suspect the Sachs kit is the best way to go based on the board members who have tried several combinations before buying the Sachs kit but I'm quite satisfied with the BA/Bil Sport setup I'm currently using. I guess a lot depends on what one wants from the suspension.
    John R
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Default once you do the dive into the Sachs kit...

theres not many people brave enough to admit that it bottoms out too...LOL
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default The only time I bottom out is...

When I **** up and hit something I shouldn't. That only happens about once every 2 or 3 months. But my roads don't suck. And, I cut the bump stops in half on all four corners

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    No no no no no no. The previous owner of my car put this combo on the car and IT DOES NOT WORK. The car bottoms out constantly and it's really really irritating. If you get the Bav Auto springs get the Sports.

I'll be replacing both this winter/spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast