GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Life sucks, officially

Default Life sucks, officially

This is my transmission ('92 525iT). Notice it is not all in one peice, mounted under the car, happily shifting as I drive around:

These things broke and the clutch was bouncing off the pump housing. Not sure how much the rebuild will be... more than I'd like to spend, given we're right in the middle of a new hardwood floor install.

Peter

Default Looks like a nice cozy holiday break is in your future...

Quote Originally Posted by warton
    This is my transmission ('92 525iT). Notice it is not all in one peice, mounted under the car, happily shifting as I drive around:

These things broke and the clutch was bouncing off the pump housing. Not sure how much the rebuild will be... more than I'd like to spend, given we're right in the middle of a new hardwood floor install.

Peter
    In the garage, that is, putting together a transmission with a stiff egg nog and hat. Ho ho ho!

I assume you're going to rebuild it yourself? I've secretly always wanted to rebuild an auto tranny. I've done a manual, which had a very low part count compared to the auto.

I have a friend who is a wizard at Saab trannys. He'll buy a saab cheap with a bad tranny, rebuild it, and sell it for a nice profit.

Best of luck!

- Robin
    Last edited by Robin-535im; 12-02-2004 at 08:34 PM.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Those thrust washers are a fairly common problem in those transmissions. The soft parts are all readily available at any trans supply shop. BMW does not service those pieces individually - are any of your hard parts damaged ?
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Hi Peter,
    Looks like you are deeeeeeep. Maybe you want to sell one of your road bikes...you got any on the block that a working stiff can afford?...or is all your stuff carbon and unobtainium. If so...what frame size you ride?
    Thinking about biking more in '05....life's short...ride hard.
    Good Luck with your tranny...its always a matter of time with older BMW's...you are still ahead...you will get another big block of miles out of it.
    Cheers,
    George

There are metal replacements available for that plastic thrust washer, check around. I also suggest replacing the 3rd gear drum (right side of main pic, next to case). The lip can break off, and if fragments get between any gears the damage is severe. No upgrades available for that part, unfortunately.

Good luck

Peter, what ever he says, don't let George Mann near any motorcycles....

You can get that idea out of your head now George....=) more than once, when I would get a raging case of wind in the used to be hair, you would come along to remind me of the idiots, blonde perched SUV's gabbing on cell phones and the like that made riding dangerous. So now it's my turn to pull you from the lure of danger...=)

Sorry Peter, I would be no help whatsoever with your transmission. I do know a lot of people that could help you with your hardwood floors however...

Think it's time for a 5 speed conversion???

Jr

Default Sorry to hear about the transmission Peter

Quote Originally Posted by warton

Peter

Hi Jr,
    As bad as I want a motorcycle...and definitely have an itch for a nice BMW motorcycle...have a friend with a couple and know Ed has one...they are beautiful....reference I made to Peter was about bicycles with peddles. Keeping my eye out for a nice mid-high end lightweight road bike as am going to get more into cycling (pedal variety)...caught the bug late this year. Jr...another data point to discourage me from getting a motorcycle is a good friend of mine I worked with is recovering from a bad motorcycle accident as we speak. He is one of the lucky ones...but likely won't be as good as he once was...he is our age....almost died...no brain injury...50 stitches in his face....punctured lung...multiple fractures etc. A fellow engineer and careful rider on a nice new Harley he waited a year for....he had a lot of previous riding experience. I love motorcycles like many do on the forum...but if any of us had any sense we would all be driving tanks around with the number of stupid drivers out on the road. One mistake...and not by you...and you are toast.
    No help for Peter with his trans either other than to wish him well with the rebuild.
    George

Sorry to see that Peter. The tranny in our '92 T went last winter, about 6 months after I had sold it to my nephew. I had given him enough of a sweetheart deal that I didn't feel too bad, but it's a really sucky thing.

I can't be too much help getting it back together. If you are doing the dis-and-re-assemble, I SALUTE YOU!
    --Micah O'C
    '17 M2 6MT, Mineral Grey
    '04 330i ZHP
    '88 M5 2791445
    '92 M5T BL01001
    formerly '90 535iM, '92 525iT

Micah...don't think you know Peter like we know Peter...don't think that Peter is doing the rebuild...however wielding the camera quite nicely :-)
    George

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast