GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a scam?

Default Is this a scam?

Hi there,

I've been trying to sell my car for a couple months now. I recently listed it in autotrader, and 2 days after it listed I received an email from an individual expressing interest. We've corresponded several times, and finally came to a mutual price agreement. Then I got this email:

> How are you today, i just finished talking with the buyer as he's currently
    > out of town and like the saying every car has it's owner. well am glad to
    > tell you he has accepted your price, however he hopes the BMW is just as you
    > described, with the oil changed, tyres still new and generally in good shape.
    > However he said the payment will be in a cashier's cheque to the tone of
    > $10,750 which was previously issued out by him just last week for the
    > previous vehicle i told about he wanted but unfortunately turned out not to
    > be as the seller said it was at the pick-up day. So the cheque since being
    > more than your price will now cover for both your price, shipping charges and
    > any other bills from this transaction.
    > So you are required upon cashing the check, to deduct your price $6,000 and
    > send the remaining $4,750 overdraft to the shipping agency he intends using
    > via money-gram or western union, so as to enable offset their bills, shipping
    > charges and arrangements.
    >
    > Once the transaction is concluded, the agent will be coming for the pick up
    > of the BMW from its present location on an open vehicle and then drive to a
    > pre-paid shipper for shipment, and also conclude other necessary shipping
    > arrangements. so you don't have to bother yourself about the pick up and
    > shipping arrangements, while title papers and other necessary documets will
    > be signed and taken care of by the agent.
    >
    > So please Confirm this and provide name, address and phone number for check
    > payment to be delivered to you via courier services.
    >
    > Charles....
    > NB: please get back to me immdiately so that we can wrap this up & feel free
    > to ask me any questions.

This email to me bears a striking resemblance to some of the scams I've seen on the internet. Is there a way I can protect myself from ending up without a car and without any money, cause I definately don't want that. Thanks a lot.

-Steve
    1992 525iM: Illusion Audio, US Amps, LPG, EAT chip
    1976 2002: MB Quart, Kenwood, Weber Carb

Default total scam..... Nigerian scam do not do!!

Quote Originally Posted by dunderchief
    Hi there,

I've been trying to sell my car for a couple months now. I recently listed it in autotrader, and 2 days after it listed I received an email from an individual expressing interest. We've corresponded several times, and finally came to a mutual price agreement. Then I got this email:

> How are you today, i just finished talking with the buyer as he's currently
    > out of town and like the saying every car has it's owner. well am glad to
    > tell you he has accepted your price, however he hopes the BMW is just as you
    > described, with the oil changed, tyres still new and generally in good shape.
    > However he said the payment will be in a cashier's cheque to the tone of
    > $10,750 which was previously issued out by him just last week for the
    > previous vehicle i told about he wanted but unfortunately turned out not to
    > be as the seller said it was at the pick-up day. So the cheque since being
    > more than your price will now cover for both your price, shipping charges and
    > any other bills from this transaction.
    > So you are required upon cashing the check, to deduct your price $6,000 and
    > send the remaining $4,750 overdraft to the shipping agency he intends using
    > via money-gram or western union, so as to enable offset their bills, shipping
    > charges and arrangements.
    >
    > Once the transaction is concluded, the agent will be coming for the pick up
    > of the BMW from its present location on an open vehicle and then drive to a
    > pre-paid shipper for shipment, and also conclude other necessary shipping
    > arrangements. so you don't have to bother yourself about the pick up and
    > shipping arrangements, while title papers and other necessary documets will
    > be signed and taken care of by the agent.
    >
    > So please Confirm this and provide name, address and phone number for check
    > payment to be delivered to you via courier services.
    >
    > Charles....
    > NB: please get back to me immdiately so that we can wrap this up & feel free
    > to ask me any questions.

This email to me bears a striking resemblance to some of the scams I've seen on the internet. Is there a way I can protect myself from ending up without a car and without any money, cause I definately don't want that. Thanks a lot.

-Steve

This is a classic scam. There are several websites out there dedicated to scamming the scammers. I think this is called the 407 Scam or something like that. It is a problem as it plays on peoples basic sense of greed.

One guy in Philadelphia lost $10,000. and a new Lexus LS400 that shipped out of the country before he figured out it was a problem.

Steer wide right of these guys - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

YES

saw these many times.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I have collected two checks - both counterfeit - in the last 6 months for a 260Z and a Porsche I have sold. This is a classic scam and if you are dumb-assed enough to fall for it you deserve to lose your money. I don't mean to sound harsh, but come on, are you really this flucking gullible? I have some land in Florida.........

Did you put it in a picture frame to display it to your friends?

Default Big Scam!

I went through it at one time when I was selling my jeep. I actually received a cashiers check...took it to my bank and they said it's a counterfiet. Don't do it!

You could do this...Scamming the scammer...the P-p-p-powerbook.

Sell him a B-b-b-b-MW!

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

wow, that has to be the funniest thing i've read in a long long time. excellent. i only wish they had reached the guy. didn't they finally get his real number? hehehehe.. man that made my night.

i can just imagine making a b-b-bmw maybe glue some BMW roundels on a kia.. geo.. ha!

Quote Originally Posted by DueyT
    You could do this...Scamming the scammer...the P-p-p-powerbook.

Sell him a B-b-b-b-MW!

Cheers,
    Duey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast