GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V8 Nikasil bore problems

Default V8 Nikasil bore problems

I was browsing through a copy of BMWcar (UK mag), the December issue has a tail piece on buying E34's. It mentioned with the V8s that the bore wear problems are well documented. Any of the more informed guys out there know of this? Has this been discussed previously?

Default Yes, AD NAUSEUM.

But everyone should be aware, and you won't find a better synopsis than this.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=741

Supposedly if you are in the UK (are you?), you might not have the same issue, but it is well known that these troubles were not limited to the U.S. If you have always fed your car premium gas, you will hopefully be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by GJPinAU
    I was browsing through a copy of BMWcar (UK mag), the December issue has a tail piece on buying E34's. It mentioned with the V8s that the bore wear problems are well documented. Any of the more informed guys out there know of this? Has this been discussed previously?
    Last edited by G Feller; 02-11-2004 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Addition

Thanks for that, being new here and new to the V8 it was a bit of a scare.

Default Duh, I see you're in AU

You might dig around a bit to see if there has been any sign of such troubles in your neck of the woods (as we sometimes say here in the U.S.).

At this point there's not much you can do about it anyway other than being aware and feeding her premium.

Happy motoring!

GJP, out of interest, do you know the build date of your car? I didn't know that the M60B40 was put into any export (from Germany) car before MY '94.

If you would like to sleep easier at night, you can have a leakdown check performed on your engine. In Canada/U.S. this usually costs about $75-$100...Oz dollars probably similar. BMWNA would conduct leakdown checks on M60 3.0L and 4.0L engines only after a progressive series of other simpler tests indicated potential problems with the motor.

There is now doubt that BMW's name was built on its family of fine 6-cylinder power plants. They are some of the finest pieces of machinery going, bar none. Being a V-8 loving guy, especially listening to the beast wind up to 6800 rpm, I just can't get enough of driving my 540i/6 whereever I can go!

Enjoy your beasty!

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

The build date is 07/93.

I've been told the problem was only in the U.S. and not relevant here.

Unfortunately, I had to sell my E28 M535 (great car!)because I blew-out my knee mountain bike riding - can't drive a manual but I can still ride my bike. Damn, now I have to drive an auto. Would've loved a manual V8.

P.S. the report you did about the V8 bore problem was brilliant.

The build date is 07/93.

To the best of my knowledge, the problem was a result of high sulfur content in U.S. fuel. There was just an article in Bimmer or Roundel about it...apparently the U.S. fuel requirements changed in 97' to drop the sulfur content to bring it closer to European fuel. I doubt that was the reason, but it was the result.

I was under the impression that it was a U.S. problem...guess I'm lucky that I wound up with the M50, I found out about the V8 problems after I bought the car

Also, I just read Duey's post...could have saved some typing if I saw that earlier. Well done!

Default GJP , you were told wrong, Its still a problem elsewhere besides the

US, Its just not nearly as common as here. It was definitely a sulfur problem which you've already discovered.. It affected the v8's and the 3.0 six which we didn't get in the US. That six also had a nikasil block.

The build date is 07/93.

Unfortunately, I had to sell my E28 M535 (great car!)because I blew-out my knee mountain bike riding - can't drive a manual but I can still ride my bike. Damn, now I have to drive an auto. Would've loved a manual V8.

P.S. the report you did about the V8 bore problem was brilliant.

Thanks for the kudos gents, I just wanted to confirm in my own mind that I wasn't buying a hopeless chunk of aluminum so I dug into the issue and did some research on metalurgy and engines. I don't think BMW has ever released figures on the incidence rate of the Nikasil problem, but it would be interesting to look at where the failures occured and see what the fuel quality was like in those locales.

GJP, as BillR noted it wasn't just the USA; the problem was also seen in Northern UK and other areas in Europe where sulphur levels were high (although significantly more rare in Europe). In North America, it is not uncommon to still find refineries putting out gasoline with 350-550+ PPM of sulphur! ULSG and ULSD will arrive by 2006 but there's nothing twisting the Petro companies right now to reduce sulphur. I understand that the cleanest refinery in North America is in New Brunswick, Canada. The IRVING Company refines gas and diesel down to 15-35ppm sulphur...this approaches some of the strictest levels seen, mostly in Scandanavian countries currently.

Cheers,
    Duey
    Last edited by DueyT; 02-12-2004 at 12:32 AM.

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Default BMW and Nikasil

Although not a V8 owner I am aware of the NIkasil issue.I am puzzled tho cos I had K100 rs BMW motorcycle (flat four shaft drive liquid colled fuel injected 1000cc)They also had nikasil coated bores.Did they have issues in the US?I know that every time i visited the dealer they would take it out the back and replace something!
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast