GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glovebox wont open--Any ideas?

Default Glovebox wont open--Any ideas?

Tried to open up Glovebox and lock does not release. Any ideas to get it opened?

Thanks,

-Ray
    '94 525ia

Default Ray, if you look at this pic, at the bottom right you can

see one of the 2 latches the glove box pivots on when opened, you can release these latches and then you might be able to manuever the box around until you can get it open. Otherwise you end up using a very thin spatula while pushing the box to one side to try and push the tabs on the latch in..

Quote Originally Posted by RayC.
    Tried to open up Glovebox and lock does not release. Any ideas to get it opened?

Thanks,

-Ray
    '94 525ia

Thanks Bill R., I'll give it a try.

-Ray

Thanks!
    This just happened to me too and dropping the rear latches did not work. Time for the spatula tonight!
    ...Bill

Bill, Did the spatula work? I have the same problem as you and I have disengaged the hinges but I can't see where I am supposed to insert the spatula. Right now, I'm trying to drill through the screws that hold the bolt on the cover in place!
    Rogerxnz

Default Brett Anderson may have a better description of how to remove it than what i

do. His method is to open the passenger side door and take a long thin screwdriver and come in straight from the side of the glove box to press in one of the tabs on the latch. If you press one side it will automatically move the other side in also. He also uses a small pry bar to hold a gap in the side of the glove box so he can see in from the side. This was from an old post of his that i had saved .

Quote Originally Posted by rogerxnz
    Bill, Did the spatula work? I have the same problem as you and I have disengaged the hinges but I can't see where I am supposed to insert the spatula. Right now, I'm trying to drill through the screws that hold the bolt on the cover in place!
    Rogerxnz

Well, here's my method for releasing a glove box on a E34 1988 535iA SE (ex UK):

1 Open hinges at bottom of box and pry box off the hinge bars at the bottom. I used chisels as levers!

2 Detach straps which limit the opening of the box. You push off the brass clips and slide off the ends of each strap. I did the left one first and removed the right one when I had released the bolt (see below). I can't recall whether I removed the left one before or after I had done step 3 and created quite an opening. In any case, it is probably not critical when you do it but it has to be done at some stage so you can remove the whole box.

3 Push the box down to reveal two black screws at the top centre of the edge of cavity. These are screws into the bulkhead and are hard to see. Use a torch to locate them. Remove the screws. This means that the plate that holds the bolt of the the lock with the two latches inside is unsecured at the top end.

3 Using a wide chisel or similar and lots of pressure, you can force the plate down so you can see into the cavity above the glove box and see the top of the bolt with the two latches. I used a bit of angle-aluminium (L-section) to protect the edge of the cavity while I levered against it.

4 When you can access the latches, you can push them in, one side at a time and the bolt will drop through and you're done! I found that if I pushed in the left latch first, I could not push in the right one. So I did the right one first and then the left one.

5 Using a hammer and a block of wood, force the top plate back into position and replace the two black screws.

6 Remove glove box light bulb until you can replace the glove box.

This is where I am up to now. I still have to find where to get a replacement lock mechanism and whether I can get to a position where I can use my present keys on the replacement lock or do I need a separate key for the new lock? I guess second-hand locks will be available and that all I need is a new "driver" from the lock to the mechanism which withdraws the latches to release the bolt.
    Roger

A wrecker will probably have a lock,although he will prolly try to sell you the whole glove box.You then might be able to swap the actual lock over or maybe a lock smith might be able to key alike.....
    Gone but not forgotten

Well, I got a replacement lock for NZ$35 (US$24) but I can't figure how to undo the core of the lock. Do I have to pry off the plastic "hooks" which fit into the grove around the edge of the core? They seem very fragile but I can't see any alternative.

i remember when that happened to mine. it's a PITA. my glove box today doesn't really sit right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast