GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Gasoline, which is safe to use?

Default Gasoline, which is safe to use?

This is a letter I posted in the Minneapolis BMW Owner's Group (TechnoBMW.com) and was wondering what you're opinions were regarding gasoline, where you purchase it, what you've heard?

Hey Everyone,
    At the last gathering, we were discussing where we purchased our gasoline? I have owned my 5er for two years now, and I've mostly been running the Holiday 92 octane fuel that is supposed to be oxygen enriched and has lower sulfur content than other fuels. My only thing is that is contains ethanol and that raises some concerns as to what it will and can do to rubber components and such. I'll give you an example with having something dry out that wasn't, but isn't affiliated with cars.

I own a few motorcycles, one of them I had purchased a new fuel petcock (turns on/off the fuel) and installed it on the bike. After almost exclusively using Holiday fuel for about a year and a half, I had to replace the specialized rubber gasket in the petcock because it had become hard and brittle. Due to the gasket's condition, it required replacement and in this case varies in its availability. Was the failure of this part due to the gasoline I was using?

I've heard that some other stations might have fuels that have too many additives and may cause build up in intake tracks, maybe possibly in the other end cause contamination of O2 sensors and catalytic converters? What have you heard about fuels? Which type do you use? Is this just an isolated case and I don't need to worry about damage to my car?
    -Eric Kozar
    (OO ( )( ) OO)
    1995 BMW 540i
    Minneapolis Bimmer Group Founder

gas-o-haul will turn certain types of rubber hard

Quote Originally Posted by Triton540i
    This is a letter I posted in the Minneapolis BMW Owner's Group (TechnoBMW.com) and was wondering what you're opinions were regarding gasoline, where you purchase it, what you've heard?

Hey Everyone,
    At the last gathering, we were discussing where we purchased our gasoline? I have owned my 5er for two years now, and I've mostly been running the Holiday 92 octane fuel that is supposed to be oxygen enriched and has lower sulfur content than other fuels. My only thing is that is contains ethanol and that raises some concerns as to what it will and can do to rubber components and such. I'll give you an example with having something dry out that wasn't, but isn't affiliated with cars.

I own a few motorcycles, one of them I had purchased a new fuel petcock (turns on/off the fuel) and installed it on the bike. After almost exclusively using Holiday fuel for about a year and a half, I had to replace the specialized rubber gasket in the petcock because it had become hard and brittle. Due to the gasket's condition, it required replacement and in this case varies in its availability. Was the failure of this part due to the gasoline I was using?

I've heard that some other stations might have fuels that have too many additives and may cause build up in intake tracks, maybe possibly in the other end cause contamination of O2 sensors and catalytic converters? What have you heard about fuels? Which type do you use? Is this just an isolated case and I don't need to worry about damage to my car?
    -Eric Kozar
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it