GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should I declare car parts shipped to Canada?

Default How should I declare car parts shipped to Canada?

I am shipping some stereo stuff out of an e39 to Canada. How should I declare the stuff? What service should I use(UPS,USPS)?

If you can ship UPS (or FedEx) go for it. I sent a friend in Toronto some gifts via normal mail, Canada Post returned it after a single delivery try.

Declare it as to what it actually is. If you give the item a $50.00 value for insurance purposes and it gets trashed you might have a hard time collecting more than that. Also, KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS until the item arrives and the person you sent the stuff to confirms.

You gotta watch out! Canada is a pain to send item to. I sent two over there... one via Fedex Ground... and another via UPS. Fedex Ground got poor control on the VAT, they delivered perfectly but did not collect the brokerage and tax at time... instead they billed them afterward. Guess who got stuck with the bill? ME!

UPS got better control... they collect VAT and brokerage fee before handing it over.

Both are criminal at brokerage fee... I don't care how much you declared... brokerage fee is $17+ on top of shipping... and plus tax... You only pay the shipping fee. If it comes back to you, I think there is another fee.

They got a rule there... Only $50 or under can be declared as gift... anything over that, it cost you money too... Imagine that! If you got a relative over there and want to send them any gift, they (or you) still have to pay brokerage fee and more tax!

Nothing like free trade huh?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

...well, that and universal health care (believed by many to be sliding steeply in quality) and unemployment insurance....

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Yeah, it sucks shipping there, thats why I sought advice from this board. Well that and the fact that there are plenty of resident Canadians here.

I shipped there one time and I remembered declaring it as a gift. I didn't know about the $50, but I knew there was some kind of restriction.

Default Don't use UPS!

UPS will charge the recipient a brokerage fee. Total rip-off! It's a pain to go to the post office but it will cause less grief for the recipient. Whatever value you declare , will determine how much in duties they pay. Check the gift box $0.00 and be done with it.

Declare Them As "warranty Replacements" And You Will Be Set!!!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Default I agree, and I've found that UPS is the carrier to go with when declaring

"warranty". I won't say from where, but many a deal can be had when ordering parts shipped to Canada if you speak nicely to your shipper. No duty, brokerage, or taxes, mmmmmm, free trade. Say what you may about UPS, but they've never lost anything (of mine) and make tracking possible. Saved me a bundle to boot.

Dave M

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman540i
    Declare Them As "warranty Replacements" And You Will Be Set!!!
    Last edited by Dave M; 11-02-2004 at 08:38 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

I recently received 110$ usd of medical supplies that should have been taxed, dutied...
    but we asked them to "warranty" it and it was here with no problems - otherwise it would have cost about 50$ canadian in ******** duty, tax, brokerage....
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast