GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who use Castrol....

Default For those of you who use Castrol....

have you looked in the bottom of one of the quart bottles after putting it in your engine? Try looking in it next time. Looks like some of the additives might be settling out. I have used Castrol since the 1970's and I noticed this a few years ago. If you shake it up before you pour it seems to mix back in the oil. The post from earlier about Toyota Camry engines sludging up makes me really want to go to Mobil1 in the wife's V6 Camry and glad I already did in the 525. Any comments? Anyone else notice this?
    John R
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

I saw crap in the bottom of a few different bottles of stuff (motor oil, trans, Psteering) I dont know if its just residual crap of part of the composition, either way I have a very fine mesh funnel deal that takes it out.

Never thought about it but next time I see this im gonna fire up juniors microscope and see if i can tell what it is.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default This is a well known problem with the toyota v6 and 4 both in those years, I've

posted on it in the past. Toyota has a secret warranty on them if you bitch long enough and loud enough and have some kind of proof of regular oil changes. Toyota is covering them until 100k miles or six years if i recall correctly. One of my customers bought a camry at a toyota factory lease return auction in Virginia when he was on vacation there It had 36k miles on it and used a quart of oil every 200 miles coming back to arizona... He called me when he got back and asked what he should do.. I told him it was still under warranty (which it was ) and to take it back to the dealer here and have them fix it... It turned out that they refused to fix it and said it hadn't had regular maintenance.. He then told them that he just purchased it through a toyota factory authorized auction for lease returns and it was supposed to have had everything checked over.. He ended up having to pay half to replace the motor 2K was his share of it. And six months later when i saw that toyota had agreed to warranty all of them , I called him and let him know. He got reimbursed by toyota for the 2k.... The only thing thats known to help prevent it is synthetic motor oil.

Quote Originally Posted by JR'Z 525
    have you looked in the bottom of one of the quart bottles after putting it in your engine? Try looking in it next time. Looks like some of the additives might be settling out. I have used Castrol since the 1970's and I noticed this a few years ago. If you shake it up before you pour it seems to mix back in the oil. The post from earlier about Toyota Camry engines sludging up makes me really want to go to Mobil1 in the wife's V6 Camry and glad I already did in the 525. Any comments? Anyone else notice this?
    John R

darkness in motor oil is usually molybdenum.....you might be gettin a couple of extra cents worth out of yer motor oil if its darker than other bottles i don't have that problem, as i am currently trying out the german castrol syntec 0w30 which looks like sludgy green antifreeze instead of motor oil (besides smelling like da windex). i hope the report on it comes out ok (i'm putting about 700 mi/week on it, should be time for an oil change in about 3 weeks).
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

German castrol is supposed to smell like gummy bears, did you get the right stuff?

Settling does occur in oil sometimes, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cary

Default castrol

is the german castrol the softec ll01.My castrol 5 w 30 synthetic has quite a strong smell,not as bad as gear oil but close...
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by cary
    German castrol is supposed to smell like gummy bears, did you get the right stuff?

Settling does occur in oil sometimes, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cary
    i don't know what those froot loops are smoking, it smells more like windex to me than gummi bears, i know what gummi bears smell like and this aint it......
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    is the german castrol the softec ll01.My castrol 5 w 30 synthetic has quite a strong smell,not as bad as gear oil but close...

it doesn't smell "bad" at all, nothing nearly as nasty as gear oil. it is sold in europe as castrol SLX.

here's a pic of it in all of its green glory....

i'm so impressed with how little of this oil has been consumed over the last 4k miles or so
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey Bill,

I posted this awhile ago, but I guess you were still out of town or whatnot. Have this issue (I think) with my girlfriends Camry now, the engine only has 30K miles on it (was already replaced once at 70K miles at the owners expense). Anywho, she's burning though oil pretty fast, so I switched it to Mobil 1 synthetic and now I'm praying it doesn't get any worse.

If it does, how hard is it to pull the oil pan on that car and clean the gunk out?

As far as the new oil, well, things tend to get shaken up on the drive home from the store rather than settle
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast