GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Windshield: What parts to order?

Default Windshield: What parts to order?

Hi all,

I'm getting a new windshield put in my car. I've heard the horror stories about having bad installations with shops breaking clips etc.

I want to install with new clips, moldings, gaskets, or whatever else should go in there so as to eliminate future problems.

Can anyone please tell me what I should order to ensure a tight and windnoise free installation? Also, if you have part numbers that I can order that would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by talltorontoguy
    Hi all,

I'm getting a new windshield put in my car. I've heard the horror stories about having bad installations with shops breaking clips etc.

I want to install with new clips, moldings, gaskets, or whatever else should go in there so as to eliminate future problems.

Can anyone please tell me what I should order to ensure a tight and windnoise free installation? Also, if you have part numbers that I can order that would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    Rod
    http://rust.mine.nu/bmw/showparts.do...05&x=246&y=122

Thanks for the diagram and part numbers. I'm still confused though...

I'm assuming that I can re-use the existing window decorative trim pieces. What should I absolutely replace?

I had thought there was a rubber gasket of some sort... the one that is on there now is a little loose. Lots of air noise and some leaking. Does this typically come with the new windshield?

Or... should I just get the installer to go ahead and do it without the new parts?

Advice needed!

Thanks guys...

Quote Originally Posted by talltorontoguy
    Thanks for the diagram and part numbers. I'm still confused though...

I'm assuming that I can re-use the existing window decorative trim pieces. What should I absolutely replace?

I had thought there was a rubber gasket of some sort... the one that is on there now is a little loose. Lots of air noise and some leaking. Does this typically come with the new windshield?

Or... should I just get the installer to go ahead and do it without the new parts?

Advice needed!

Thanks guys...
    My advice would be to talk to a Service Manager at your local BMW Dealership or contact "Glass Doctor" or a similar company in the Yellow Pages with experience replacing glass in BMWs.

Just my $.02

David