GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Just when i think the E34 is perfect, i seem to make it better.

Default Just when i think the E34 is perfect, i seem to make it better.

Installed Bilstein HD Sports tonight, along with new sway bar links. No more clunk, and it's like night and day when you come from the Auto Zone special original shocks that were in there It corners about 60% more flat than with the old crappy ones, and I still have to install the rear ones tomorrow. New coilpacks and plugs are tomorrow. Also, anyone have an idea on how to remove a completely stripped out rotor screw? They are so rusted that even after a good soaking of liquid wrench, they're just frozen and the metal is so soft that they just stripped completely and are round. Can i drill them out or anything?

PS: Bruno, where are my subframe inserts!!!!!!
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d
    Installed Bilstein HD Sports tonight, along with new sway bar links. No more clunk, and it's like night and day when you come from the Auto Zone special original shocks that were in there It corners about 60% more flat than with the old crappy ones, and I still have to install the rear ones tomorrow. New coilpacks and plugs are tomorrow. Also, anyone have an idea on how to remove a completely stripped out rotor screw? They are so rusted that even after a good soaking of liquid wrench, they're just frozen and the metal is so soft that they just stripped completely and are round. Can i drill them out or anything?

Glad to see your turning strut jobs with no problem now. Lemme know if you need an extra set of hands, and thx for the help from before.

Default Get a reverse Drill bit......

Get a revers drill bit, drill in slow and slightly and it will come out as long as you are centered and you do not take out the threading on the rotor. Be careful but it works. I had to do it on my car.

Brian

95 525ia 200k kms[

QUOTE=bimmerd00d]Installed Bilstein HD Sports tonight, along with new sway bar links. No more clunk, and it's like night and day when you come from the Auto Zone special original shocks that were in there It corners about 60% more flat than with the old crappy ones, and I still have to install the rear ones tomorrow. New coilpacks and plugs are tomorrow. Also, anyone have an idea on how to remove a completely stripped out rotor screw? They are so rusted that even after a good soaking of liquid wrench, they're just frozen and the metal is so soft that they just stripped completely and are round. Can i drill them out or anything?

PS: Bruno, where are my subframe inserts!!!!!! [/QUOTE]

I always use a Craftsman impact driver to take out those screws if they are even remotely stuck. Because of the soft metal. I have another cheap asian impact driver that does not work as well. Just a firm twist and a tap of the hammer does it for me every time. If it is completely stripped out, drill out the head and pull the rotor. Then soak with PB Blaster or your favorite liquid wrench and try the vice grips. Or cut a slot in it after the rotor is out and try again.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d

told ya you'd notice the difference brandon... but which did you put in Bilstein HD or Bilstein sport?

Quote Originally Posted by misfortune
    Glad to see your turning strut jobs with no problem now. Lemme know if you need an extra set of hands, and thx for the help from before.

Come on our drive this weekend. Should only be from about 8am to 4-5pm. So far we have about 10 cars going, it will be lots of fun, and i'm the only e34 there

yes the suspension upgrades for the e34 are great. does anyone know where a person can pick up a set of GC coilovers for the e34 540?

I had a rotor screw that wouldn't budge and of course stripped. I tried to drill it out and that didn't work well. So... if you're not reusing your rotors (like a decent and responsible E34 owner), take a BFH and hammer the back of the rotor until the rotor brakes and comes off -it'll take some effort. You'll be able to use a pair of vise-grips or pliers to get a hold of the head of the screw and get it out from there.
    Hope this helps.

Default doh -I meant "until the rotor breaks." -not "brakes".

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    I had a rotor screw that wouldn't budge and of course stripped. I tried to drill it out and that didn't work well. So... if you're not reusing your rotors (like a decent and responsible E34 owner), take a BFH and hammer the back of the rotor until the rotor brakes and comes off -it'll take some effort. You'll be able to use a pair of vise-grips or pliers to get a hold of the head of the screw and get it out from there.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Hope this helps.
    Got it, impact driver + flat chisel tip = no more bolt!