GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: need RELEVANT/non snarky advice.....carbon removal

Default need RELEVANT/non snarky advice.....carbon removal

i went ahead and tried the saturn piston soak before my oil change over to german castrol 0w30 aka castrol SLX aka jesus' motor oil...to see if i could get any more carbon than the water induction did. this consists of pouring 1-2 oz of the top end cleaner of your choice into each spark plug hole, letting it soak for between 30 mins to overnight, cranking it out with the starter/blowing it out with air, and reassembling and driving at high rpm. unfortunately, when i looked into the cylinders, i saw that with the exception of 1 and 6, each looked like someone dropped a fingerful of potting soil in there (carbon) on the tops of the pistons. when i cranked it out, the rag i was using to prevent a "large" mess was covered in bits in the areas in which holes were covered. i would have thought that the water that i ran through would have at least put a dent in this mess. this would explain a lot of my ping in this 10-1 compression motor. afterward, the throttle was crisper, and the ping band had moved up to above 2500, but it was still there (and still there when i manually kick it down to 6500 rpm). i thought that this would be less harsh on the motor than the water induction...but with the amount that i had to crank the motor over before it would restart after this little exercise....well, i'm sure they were all a little starved for oil (would have helped to use an aircompressor, perhaps that makes the difference).

anyway

anyone suggest a way (other than taking the head off, that's out of the question). that i could get this carbon? i'm thinking that i could use berryman's aerosol cleaner and a gun brush in there before my next oil change, but i'm sure that will be more complicated than i anticipate. i ran at least 50-75 gals of fuel with a double dose of strong fuel injector cleaner through before i did the water induction. any old timer tricks, advice---that anyone can offer? thanks.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Wasn't your head already removed a while back? If it got carboned up that quickly something isn't right and I doubt anything you do will clean it up in a long term. I am suprised that you are not a bit worried about that carbon dripping down and ruining your bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.
    Wasn't your head already removed a while back? If it got carboned up that quickly something isn't right and I doubt anything you do will clean it up in a long term. I am suprised that you are not a bit worried about that carbon dripping down and ruining your bearings.
    this motor never had its head off....my other one did. i was concerned about crap migrating downward, that's why i didn't do this until i was ready to change the oil immediately afterwards. the intake valves, when the motor was out, were pretty clean, admittedly. this was about 27k miles ago (about 1 year).
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

mabey it's the design of the m50 intake that's not conductive to a wet flow, on m20 m30 bmws and b230 volvos it works for me, i just did a 93 940 turbo two days ago that was pinging it's ass off (combo of old woman driver and cheepo gas) 3 water treatments and some flogging got it almost smoking the tires off the line (the computer wasn't backing down the timing and killing power anymore)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Have you considered the infamous italian tune up? Also, do you buy the same brand of gas every week? If so, you might try switching to another brand.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy