GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How reliable are transmissions on 94 525i?

Default How reliable are transmissions on 94 525i?

Buddy of mine is looking at a 94' 525i w/ 125k mi auto.

generally trouble free up to 120 or so, with regular service you can sneak up on 200k and they can get goofy in their old age
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default yeah.... like winfred said it seems to depend on maintenance....

I've got a 93 525ia w/127K and it's fine..... considering getting the dinan a/t chip but don't want to tempt fate..... , Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.

Default I have 2, 1991 525i's with the same tranny as the 1994

and I have had no issues with either of them. One car has 160,000 miles and the other has 140,000 miles.

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.

I hate to be the only one sounding a negative note here, but according to the tranny shop that rebuilt mine, they can die at any time after 100k. Death can be sudden, with no hint it's about to happen. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Default Dick what is your mainenance schedule?

I have 100,000 on mine. I serviced it (fluid, filter, cleaning and BG additive) for the first time at 77,000 just after my purchase. Ran fine before and after service. Still seems ok now. Just worried/concerened/watchful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    and I have had no issues with either of them. One car has 160,000 miles and the other has 140,000 miles.

Dick Schneiders
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default I drain and refill the fluid every other engine oil change,

around 20,000 mile intervals. This doesn't get all of the fluid, but doing this regularly is a good idea, I think. I also drop the pan and change the filter, along with the fluid, every other tranny fluid drain or about every 40,000 miles.

This schedule isn't as often as some people, but I know that it is a lot more often than a lot of people - some think these trannys never need the fluid changed!

When I first bought the cars, I changed the filter and fluid and then drained and refilled the fluid a couple of more times within a few hundred miles or so. I did this to get as much of the old (and unknown age) fluid out of the system as I could and replaced with fresh fluid.

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    I have 100,000 on mine. I serviced it (fluid, filter, cleaning and BG additive) for the first time at 77,000 just after my purchase. Ran fine before and after service. Still seems ok now. Just worried/concerened/watchful.

Default Yeah, that seems to be the story that all the "experts" keep repeating, but

it doesn't seem to be what happens to the vast majority of the auto trannys in these cars. Sure, some will fail after 100k (some will also fail before 100k), but if they are given regular fluid and filter changes, they should last much longer than that.

The main problem is that many owners think wrongly that they don't need to ever change the fluid and filters in these trannys, often because their tranny shops tell them that they are sealed trannys with lifetime fluid - which is totally wrong.

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by George Davis
    I hate to be the only one sounding a negative note here, but according to the tranny shop that rebuilt mine, they can die at any time after 100k. Death can be sudden, with no hint it's about to happen. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Default Do you have dipsticks in your cars?

Thanks for your advice.
    My car does not have a dipstick. It just seems rather difficult to do my own trany service without a lift and no dipstick. My indy charges about $175 for a complete service inlcuding filters and oil. Have not (afraid to) priced the dealer.

Do you have any shortcuts?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    around 20,000 mile intervals. This doesn't get all of the fluid, but doing this regularly is a good idea, I think. I also drop the pan and change the filter, along with the fluid, every other tranny fluid drain or about every 40,000 miles.

This schedule isn't as often as some people, but I know that it is a lot more often than a lot of people - some think these trannys never need the fluid changed!

When I first bought the cars, I changed the filter and fluid and then drained and refilled the fluid a couple of more times within a few hundred miles or so. I did this to get as much of the old (and unknown age) fluid out of the system as I could and replaced with fresh fluid.

Dick Schneiders
    Last edited by Russell; 09-27-2004 at 06:25 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

91 was about the only year the chevy tranny came with a dipstick

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Thanks for your advice.
    My car does not have a dipstick. It just seems rather difficult to do my own trany service without a lift and no dipstick. My indy charges about $175 for a complete service inlcuding filters and oil. Have not (afraid) priced the dealer.

Do you have any shortcuts?

Thanks again.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast