GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M20 Cracked Head

Default I agree, as long as it isnt cracked why rebuild it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    if youre selling the car look around one some of the BMW forums and get a used one. Im sure you can can find one in the $300 range if not better. There is a place in PA the parts out E30s and I'm pretty sure they advertise in the roundel classifieds, they would very likey have a head you can use.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Pics...

Here are some pics of the car, I figure if someone is willing to give me $1000, they can tow it away, like I said many new parts: tires, MAF, O2 sensor, TPS, Thrust arms, tie rod ends, fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, trunk shocks, various hoses, and more (just can't remember). If there is no interest, then Mr. Bill, I believe I will have to take you up on your offer. Thanks....
    Geoff

apparently, my pics are too large to post, I shrunk one of them down, but to view more pics, please go here:
    http://photos.yahoo.com/ocampg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I wonder what it'd cost to ship that thing to Texas? Is it an auto, or 5 speed? I might be intereted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. BILL
    I wonder what it'd cost to ship that thing to Texas? Is it an auto, or 5 speed? I might be intereted.

auto, 126K?

Well, forget that idea. I got bids of $900-1000 to ship it to Texas.

Default awww....just for the heck of it... You thinking of this Mr. Bill?

Before:

BTW, that's Martin B.....geeeenius.

After:

Hey Martin...that was fun, huh? Just about a year ago now. Your turn to find one now.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default Opinions, advice?

Well, I guess nobody is interested in my car. What is everybody's opinion on the condition of a head which has sustained damage from timing belt failure? Winfred, you seem to have alot of experience with M20 heads, any instances? Mr. Bill was generous enough to offer me his cylinder head for $100, but he mentioned that some valves and rocker arms were bent. It seems to me that alot of force would be needed to do so, and in turn, it could be very possible that the head was also damaged, maybe the cam journal? I'm asking this because as some of you may have read, this car has given me the worst of luck, and each time I try to fix something, I only dig myself deeper into the hole... The way I see it, it is possible that I get Mr. Bill's head ($100), get it checked out ($60), and a headgasket kit ($120) only to bit in the ass once again... I would like to know if anybody has broken a timing belt and damaged the head as well? In lieu of this, I guess I could lower my asking price even further, $800 anybody? The car is New City, NY.

Default dude either part it out or fix it...

you could give it away and its not worth it, fix it would be the only option that I can see.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I am going through the same deal right now with a 90 525i. I left it outside to cool off one afternoon and came back to the needle pegged in the red. I checked out the coolant and found oil mixed all through it and did some more investigation to find the T-stat had fell apart and blocked the water flow.

I tore the head down and sent it out for a pressure test and it came back cracked. I searched Ebay for weeks for a used head that was pressure tested and nothing is under $200 used. I was bored and searched for "Remanufactured cylinder head bmw" one day and came up with a rebuild shop in San Antonio, Texas that had a page up. I called a few shop in the area and asked about the rebuild shops reputation and they had no negative comments. Sure its not Jim's house of Supreme power but I am not planning on racing this car. I had them ship me the head with no core and the total with tax came to $437.

I am about half way done reassembling now and taking my time and looking up alot of the great tips listed on the boards here. If you have the time and some mechanical skills then do it yourself. Buying the head, radiator and gaskets with all the little extras, my total will be close to $1k. Not bad and it should be bullet proof for 5 more years.

You'll spend $800-900 to fix the car if you do it yourself. Twice that if you have it done. You might think in terms of how much would you loose if you sell the car figuring what you paid for it plus repairs so far, less what you sell it for, $600-800.

Compare that to what you paid, plus ALL repairs (including this one) to see how much you have in it total, less what you MIGHT sell it for, maybe $3000. Which way will you come out better? That's should be your basis for a decision.

I'd love to buy your car, but it'll cost me a grand to get it here. It sounds like you've replace most of the things that'll fail. BTW, you'll spend at least $300-400 on my head to make it usable, so keep that in mind.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast