GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!!

Default Help!!!!

Hi,

I drive a '92 535i auto sport and last night I was booting it down a local dual carriageway, when I got to the next set of traffic lights, nothing no forward motion, just revving but no motion. In reverse its pulls as normal, but nothing forward.

Anyone have any idea as to what it might be?

Thanks
    Joe

Call Kirt Koeller 616-748-5735

welcome to the common A-clutch failure that's dogged the zf 4hp-22 tranny in volvo's, jag's, peaugot's and bimmers. the root problem is two 1" metal seals where the input shaft goes through the pump, start to leak and apply pressure to the 1st gear clutch while in park, this burns the disks and steel shims in the clutch pack. if you are are real handy with a wrench it can be fixed for about $50 in parts, theres 5-7 friction disks, 5-7 steel disks, 2 teflon seals that replace the steel **** seals (they still sell the steel seals for some reason) and a paper gasket that goes between the pump and tranny case
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks Buddy.

I'm on the case, will hopefully get it sorted this week.

Is it possible it could be an electrical fault as I can see no oil, and there is no smell!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Joe

internal leak applys pressure to the 1st gear clutches and burns them up, i do at least one a month, it don't move in drive but moves in reverse is exactly what i want to hear from the customer bringing it in for repair, sometimes it won't move at all. i need to do a write up on the next one i do, a few pictures are worth a thousand words
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

How difficult is it to sort out on my own then, I'm fairly well mechanically minded but is it a problem I can sort out on my own. Another thing is I'm in the UK, so any idea where I'd find parts?

A further advance is, with the engine running, when the brake pedal is pressed and lifted there is a clicking noise, which sounds as if its coming from the glove box?!?!

Thanks
    Joe

you remove the tranny from the car, and remove the bellhousing with the pump atached, then the a-clutch slides right off with the bellhousing and pump. ill try to take some pics tomorrow, i don't have my camera today

Thanks for your help, pictures would b cool.

What parts do you think I'm gonna need? Any idea of costs?

Thanks again.
    Joe

When you replace one thing... other things will go... so you do entire tranny overhaul... not just this and that. Otherwise you will find yourself redoing the tranny within a year... and that is if you got it right the first time too... for a non-pro tranny repair... it is just too much chance to simply replace one internal part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast