GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Power window problem

Default Power window problem

Hi, my drivers side power window on my 1995 525it will roll down but not up. the window will stop in different positions every time that I try to put it back up. When it stops I can still here the motor running and it makes like a click click sound. One day it rained and I put the window down and it went right back up. I took the door apart to look at the gears but the dam thing is riveted to the door. What do you think is causing this?

Kenneth Hopel
    Greensboro, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler
    Hi, my drivers side power window on my 1995 525it will roll down but not up. the window will stop in different positions every time that I try to put it back up. When it stops I can still here the motor running and it makes like a click click sound. One day it rained and I put the window down and it went right back up. I took the door apart to look at the gears but the dam thing is riveted to the door. What do you think is causing this?

Kenneth Hopel
    Greensboro, NC
    Hi, i think you have to get the motor replaced but hopefully im jumping to conclusions , good luck with it

steve mackney
    1993 540ia sydney australia

Do you windows roll up with holding the key in the lock position on the drivers side door?? This could help eliminate a window switch issue, and help narrow it down to a motor.
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Default Its a broken tooth on the gear as

shown here. Its not a switch problem. The reason it worked when it rained was the rained lubricated the window just enough for the gear to be able to continue past the broken tooth. When its dry there's more resistance to the window sliding and it halts long enough at the bad tooth to make that ratcheting sound. You'll have to replace the window regulator, BMA has the OEM ones for around 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler

Kenneth Hopel
    Greensboro, NC

Default Hey Bill...

As always, you're totally AWESOME! Thanks for the PICS!
    -Eric
    (OO ( )( ) OO)
    1995 BMW 540i
    Minneapolis Bimmer Group Founder

Default Well what part is the regulator?

You are showing pictures of the power window motor correct? Are you calling this the regulator?