GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know how to "IPOD" an e34?

Default Anyone know how to "IPOD" an e34?

Wouldn't it be great to run your IPOD and have the display in your dash like the cd changer was ment to be? If they can do it with a new BMW how hard would it be to adapt it to our classic E34 and others ? MMM MMM cool

That would be great wouldn't it, I was thinking the same thing after I saw the commercial. What do you mean by "having the display in the dash like the cd changer was supposed to be?"?
    Last edited by Fivfingerz; 08-15-2004 at 10:13 PM.

i would bet the cost of developing a way to customize the obc display would possibly rival the price of selling the e34 and buying a e46 with the ipod stuff, i would like to see oil pressure/temp coolent temp and voltage in the cluster readout, now that would be bitchen
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Or you can just buy an Alpine unit which is compatible with the Ipod at a much smaller cost.

I thought the trunk changer (which I don't have) was controlled by the dash unit and displayed in the guage cluster like the tape/ radio unit does.

most e34/32s don't display the radio tape and cd stuff in the cluster, it's almost rare to have it

Quote Originally Posted by rev zundfolge
    I thought the trunk changer (which I don't have) was controlled by the dash unit and displayed in the guage cluster like the tape/ radio unit does.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I plan on putting a Kenwood Head Unit, with a ipod connection by Dension USA. Then I plan on a Sirius connection to round out the sound upgrade.

I would like to put a version of this StealthOne in the E34. Any ideas?
    1991 535i + EAT + Sachs + MTech Sways =

I just bought a C43 radio from a later model Bmw and I'm going to get the Dension Icelink to plug my old first generation ipod into in my e34. I won't get the display capabilities, but I want to hear the music so no biggie. I just gotta figure out the ibus thing before I add the cd changer into the mix too.

Default I am sure that someone on the board has done this nt

:d
    Gone but not forgotten

http://www.openbmw.org/bus/

I'm planning a project to tinker around with this sometime over the next month. Primarily I'm worried that the I-Bus spec might have changed some since the E34 (I seem to remember seeing this info was reverse engineered from E46). Hopefully at least the basic idea will still hold, which would at the very least mean being able to jack in the ipod through the cd-changer line ins, and if someone else out there has figured out the Ipod remote interface you could control it through the radio. Displaying track info on the OBC would require more complicated software support from the Ipod end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast