GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First TCD e34 M30 Turbo Kit Delivered today.

Default First TCD e34 M30 Turbo Kit Delivered today.

Thanks to one of the board members who pushed us to speed up development and deliver the kit earlier than anticipated. I am sure you'll here his thoughts on the kit next week.

Turbo Kit Pic 1

Turbo Kit Pic 2

e34 Turbo Exhaust

Thanks,
    Todd

OK - anyone wanna confess who's doing this?
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Todd...what is the system config? Is this a turn key turbo kit?. How about some dope on engine management/fuel deliver etc. Don't like the idea of running a turbo on a M-30 without a knock sensor as timing and amount of fuel are critical to engine durability when boosted.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    Todd...what is the system config? Is this a turn key turbo kit?. How about some dope on engine management/fuel deliver etc. Don't like the idea of running a turbo on a M-30 without a knock sensor as timing and amount of fuel are critical to engine durability when boosted.
    Thanks.
    Yes, it's turn key. Software is under development and will be included in the kit. This customer did not require the software. The kit uses 30lb injectors and a FMU for fuel delivery.

In the hands of a intelligent Owner, detonation is not an issue. Boost is set at levels well below those that would cause detonation.

Todd

hmmm, I am having trouble getting the pics
    Brandon J

With all due respect Todd...an intelligent owner doesn't have anything to do with a boosted motor's propensity to pre-detonate. Even the very early E-23 745i turbo factory BMW M-30 engines with dished pistons and reduced compression replete with more primitive Motronic then later NA M-30's had a knock sensor...and for good reason.
    If you spend $2K on a turbo set up...the least you can do is run a knock sensor to prevent melt down, low boost or not if you get less octane than you bargained for.
    An occassional chipped NA M-30 is reported to detonate on high octane fuel. Not a remote stretch for a boosted turbo motor to do the same thing with much higher consequences.

With all due respect Todd...an intelligent owner doesn't have anything to do with a boosted motor's propensity to pre-detonate. Even the very early E-23 745i turbo factory BMW M-30 engines with dished pistons and reduced compression replete with more primitive Motronic then later NA M-30's had a knock sensor...and for good reason.
    If you spend $2K on a turbo set up...the least you can do is run a knock sensor to prevent melt down, low boost or not if you get less octane than you bargained for.
    An occassional chipped NA M-30 is reported to detonate on high octane fuel. Not a remote stretch for a boosted turbo motor to do the same thing with much higher consequences.
    Listen George,

We made the decision that a knock sensor is not necessary. A knock sensor in fact will not save a motor from a catastrophic failure. It is the responsibility of the Owner of the car to shut it down if detonation occurs. Detonation is painfully obvious. It is not a ghost that someone cannot hear. The motor will not mysteriously self destruct because it has no knock sensor. Yes, a knock sensor is ideal if you are running on the edge all the time but our systems are set at a very conservative psi that is nowhere near the edge.

My biggest battle is convincing people that we know what we are doing. To each his own. No problem.

Todd
    Last edited by TCD; 07-31-2004 at 08:51 AM.

Default Did he really? I know there was a lot of talk....

hmmmm.....should be interesting

Its an open forum Todd....so you listen up backyard turbo boy. If you care to advertise or represent your system on this board then stand ready to answer questions put forth.
    If you don't, its a admission you haven't done your homework. As a degreed engineer with a background in engine design...I do question your system as any thinking man would do who is considering plunking down more than 1 large for a turbo...particularly from an unknown entity like yourself for a self purported "modest boost" system that won't yield the horsepower gain a well boosted system will with a a decent engine management that will control boost and air/fuel to maintain reasonable cylinder temps and therefore head gasket and bottom end engine durability. How many hours have you run on a dyno at the boost pressures you propose to ensure to the M-30 community your turbo set up won't blow up a NA M-30 in short order? Your system going to run a boost shut off? Or are you planning to do your beta testing and use first time customers as guinea pigs? If you haven't done any dyno durability testing, what beta testing sample size have you performed to encompass the variablility of not only your system but the aging M-30's out there that would consider your turbo? Why don't you post a print out of your dyno run...lets see the horsepower values against baseline. You may be able to sell your slipshot turbo set up to the uninitiated but what started as a friendly discussion will quickly erode without a measure of civility on your part. Reread my posts above...gaging your response...I am certain your marketing skills are commensurate with your technical ability and the underlying reason you are indignant relative to questions or comments about your smoke and and mirrors system is you haven't done your home work.
    Last edited by George M; 07-31-2004 at 09:24 AM.

i guess you could run a apc system from a junkyard saab like the volvo turbo guys, it's a knock sensor controled airbleed for the wastegate (if i remember right) i think it's a stand alone system, it's been a while since i hopped up a turbo volvo (i shouldn't of sold my 5 speed wagon )

the least you can do is run a knock sensor to prevent melt down, low boost or not if you get less octane than you bargained for
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast