GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new guy here, hungry for a manual wagon

Default new guy here, hungry for a manual wagon

Hi gang-

sbcncsu and I are old pals, we seriously go *way* back, and he directed me to your forum for my BMW questions.

I am soon to pay off my '95 Mustang GT, and wanted to move over to a vehicle that was more practical, better built, and still fun to drive. Therefore, I'm thinking 5-series wagon (touring). I haul a lot of band gear (including drums) and the additional cargo space would be wonderful to have, and I'm just not an SUV kinda guy.

I'd basically like to get a 5xx iT with a manual trans, with as big an engine as I can get. Unfortunately I have no real idea how these BMWS were optioned, as I am woefully ignorant of BMWs overall (though helping Scott with his 318 was actually a lot of fun.)

I figure, either I get a manual trans "big motored" BMW straightaway, or get one that has the possibility for a manual trans swap in the future (I understand that the 530i had a 5-speed, and I've seen references to 540 manual trans swaps?? Oh, the *thought* of it makes me grin) but essentially, I'd like to ask for your opinions and information on this plan.

Lastly, I'd like to keep the cost reasonable (I want to pay cash for the car), so bucks-up late models are out of the question.

Thanks in advance!

- J. Dock, future propellerhead
    Last edited by j_dock2; 02-05-2004 at 01:37 AM. Reason: subscribed to thread

Default Welcome to the dark side J. Dock!

Yep, we go way back, 6th grade or so... 20 years.

Anyway, Help J. Dock out with a touring. I sent him that link to the low mileage 530iT that was on Ebay to give him an idea what is out there. Matt P should chime in and show off his ultimate touring machine! :homer voice: M5 Touring, mmmmmmm :/homer voice:

You need to read this article before you go and buy an E34 V8:

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/...shortblock.htm

Watch out for the double sunroof and the wiring that goes to the liftgate.

Also, there are some folks here with Manual Conversions on V8 cars that would be happy to share their experiences.

Also, Bret Luter in Apex (remember Bret from your NASA days) is selling used BMW parts and lately he has been selling manual conversion parts for older 535s and may come up with parts for a V8 conversion.

I hope you can find you a touring. They are sweet.
    Scott
    Wilmington, NC

01 525iA For Sale
    Coming Soon: 2005 X3 3.0i
    05 Jeep GCL HEMI
    85 318iA SOLD
    96 Jeep GCL SOLD

Default 3 options

1) Import one privately from Europe.
    2) Buy one with an automatic & convert it yourself.
    3) Buy one that's already been either: a) imported privately or b) converted.

With option one, you can get a 6-speed 540i Touring starting around 5000 euros, but the required importation/federalization will cost approximately $10,000.

With option two, you'll have less money out-of-pocket up front, but the conversion cost could range anywhere from $3000 to $10,000. The cheapest way would be to find a 525iT with a blown trans, and a wrecked 525i sedan with a 5-speed. That's a pretty straightforward bolt-on swap. If you want more power, you can either get a supercharger for the 2.5l or transplant an E36 M3 motor/trans. Another option (and my personal favorite) is to start with a 530iT & drop in a 4.0l and 6-speed from a '95 540i sedan.

With option three, you'll probably have to look long and hard because if someone's gone through all the time/hassle/$$$ to do either import or convert a Touring, chances are that they're not going to let it go very easily.

Drew Zacharda
    6-speed Touring

Quote Originally Posted by j_dock2
    Hi gang-

sbcncsu and I are old pals, we seriously go *way* back, and he directed me to your forum for my BMW questions.

I am soon to pay off my '95 Mustang GT, and wanted to move over to a vehicle that was more practical, better built, and still fun to drive. Therefore, I'm thinking 5-series wagon (touring). I haul a lot of band gear (including drums) and the additional cargo space would be wonderful to have, and I'm just not an SUV kinda guy.

I'd basically like to get a 5xx iT with a manual trans, with as big an engine as I can get. Unfortunately I have no real idea how these BMWS were optioned, as I am woefully ignorant of BMWs overall (though helping Scott with his 318 was actually a lot of fun.)

I figure, either I get a manual trans "big motored" BMW straightaway, or get one that has the possibility for a manual trans swap in the future (I understand that the 530i had a 5-speed, and I've seen references to 540 manual trans swaps?? Oh, the *thought* of it makes me grin) but essentially, I'd like to ask for your opinions and information on this plan.

Lastly, I'd like to keep the cost reasonable (I want to pay cash for the car), so bucks-up late models are out of the question.

Thanks in advance!

- J. Dock, future propellerhead

Default Actually, Drew's is exactly what he wants . . .

. . . an E34 540 6-speed Touring. Too damn bad this creature doesn't really exist in the US, because its straight-line performance is nearly identical to that of the Mustang GT.

Your only standard options are the 525 and 530 tourings, with the 530 obviously more powerful. Best option might be to pick up a nice manual 525 in good shape for a reasonable price, then transplant a more powerful engine into it (I'm obviously thinking the US E34 M5 engine, though I don't know how practical this might be and upkeep can be a bitch unless you're really into it). I think this could be done for roughly $15k total? Which is what I paid for my '95 6-speed sedan.

Sadly, there isn't a really practical option . . . I just looked on kbb.com and found that you can get a high-mileage E39 wagon ('99 was the first year they brought the 540 wagon to the US, but they still don't offer the 6-speed wagon here) for about $20k, but who puts 100k miles on a touring in 5 years?

You might have to forego a little of the performance you're used to for the utility factor. I'm thinking you could be very happy with a nice Alusil 530 with a performance chip. Barring extremely good fortune (i.e., picking up a used big-engine manual touring with the conversion already done), there's no way around a conversion to get the manual transmission you want in a powerful touring.

But you would sure get a lot of help with the project here if you choose to undertake it.

Good luck!

Default Drew's option #3

Major PITA! You would need a whole lot of patience, follow-up skills and stick-toitiveness (and probably at least one round-trip ticket to Germany) to get this done, but it would be sweet!

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=15317

Import this one....all wheel drive, 80k,

free translation...I see tow package and rear fogs...

The Fünfer Touring is conquered the parade example for the intelligent Kombi, with more and more market shares and hearts. The touring is on the millimeter equally long like the saloon car. A highlight is open that the rear window! (Little purchase pockets or to tightly parked) so now to the beautiful cultivated ix; doubly-would push-elevated roof electrically, BMW LM-Gussrad BMW Styling, level regulation, outside temperature notice BMW radio business RDS, follower coupling with removable Kuggelkopf, fog floodlight, ABS, Metallic blackly, driver and Beifahrerairbag, electric window siphons, TÜV until 12.2005 with BMW CAR-guarantee. IT IS A GERMAN CAR. After auction envoy, the vehicle must be paid and picked up within 5 days. Vehicle can see become always. Joke bidders are accused on a costs lump sum in the amount of 25% the obtained proceeds. With your commandment duty, you confirm specifically forgo that you the exchange, claims or return, obligate yourself to the removal and acknowledge this as a contract
    Last edited by Elekta; 02-05-2004 at 03:55 PM.

Default I love those automatic translations . . . what a riot!

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=15317

Import this one....all wheel drive, 80k,

free translation...I see tow package and rear fogs...

The Fünfer Touring is conquered the parade example for the intelligent Kombi, with more and more market shares and hearts. The touring is on the millimeter equally long like the saloon car. A highlight is open that the rear window! (Little purchase pockets or to tightly parked) so now to the beautiful cultivated ix; doubly-would push-elevated roof electrically, BMW LM-Gussrad BMW Styling, level regulation, outside temperature notice BMW radio business RDS, follower coupling with removable Kuggelkopf, fog floodlight, ABS, Metallic blackly, driver and Beifahrerairbag, electric window siphons, TÜV until 12.2005 with BMW CAR-guarantee. IT IS A GERMAN CAR. After auction envoy, the vehicle must be paid and picked up within 5 days. Vehicle can see become always. Joke bidders are accused on a costs lump sum in the amount of 25% the obtained proceeds. With your commandment duty, you confirm specifically forgo that you the exchange, claims or return, obligate yourself to the removal and acknowledge this as a contract

Default Here's a monster Touring for sale

but with a slushbox. . .

1995 525iTa WBAHJ6320SGD25984 Blue/tan leather, 47k miles, custom built (by RennTECH) 4.4 w/Dinan Stage 3 supercharger, 540 5-spd automatic, Dinan sway bars, M5 brakes, E39 M5 wheels w/M1 tires. Excellent condition, very well maintained. Bike rack, car cover, included. $26,900 obo. 813 969-1449;chaddipple@hotmail.com. (FL)

Why would you do all those modifications without installing a 6-speed?

Drew Zacharda
    6-speed Touring

OK, so based on what I see here:

I can get into a mid 90s 530iT for around $10,000 or so. That's good. I have seen some with Alusil blocks already installed/exchanged for that price. This is good.

Apparently the double sunroof is something I can't get away from; is this inherently bad? Should I look long and hard to find one without this feature? Or can this be lived with in some way?

Once I have a happy 530iT I can start shopping for a busted up 540i 6-speed, right? I take it that the 4 liter motor is preferrable. I mean, displacement is kEwL in and of itself, but those motors are newer and make more power, and bolt right in.

I think this is the plan. And I have a lot of time, since I need to pay off the Mustang (about a month or so) and then start saving.

I'm seriously excited. And yeah... Drew's *is* exactly what I want.

Thank you all so much.

I discussed that with some of my fellow fanglers, and they seemed to think that the advantages of buying a 530 over a 525 were that some associated bits (like the brake m/c, etc) had already been relocated for the sake of the V8, saving a bit of trouble there. I've also heard that the 530 was somewhat less powerful (or rather, had a worse torque curve) than a VANOS 2.5 but I guess I could live with that for a time. Having a wagon would just be sooooo nice, and the idea of making it into a manual "540" is extremely appealing.

So, I have my work cut out for me. First the Mustang, then the 530, then I'll work on the 530s displacement and pedal deficiencies. Maybe a perf. chip in the interim for the 3.0, that's fine too.

Awesome, y'all!

- J. Dock, just a good ol' boy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast