GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Winfred, how about a limited slip for the 318iS?

Default Winfred, how about a limited slip for the 318iS?

I've been toying around with the idea of placing a limited slip on the 318iS. The original gearing is 4.11 and is needed to help anemic starts. Finding a 4.11 LSD might be another story. Have you got any clues or suggestions or am I wasting my time?

Jr

i dunno if it would even fit, but it seems as though almost all of the m50 automatic 525is have 4.10, and a lot of those are lsd....the 318 didn't have an lsd option?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Limited slip on the 318iS

My 318is has a limited slip, I can barely tell the difference. I've had the car since new and I don't think it has changed much over time. It is not much improved over my 73 2002tii with non-limited slip. I'm told that you cannot double the clutch plates to increase the locking, you probably could shim the existing plates but I haven't done that. I'm not sure where you get parts; I don't think BMWNA stocks diff. parts

Any replacement diff. needs to come from a 318, the M3 and 6 cylinder cars have a larger diff and crossmenber. Not sure about E36 318 cars. The 318ic had a 4.26(?) ratio.

Warren
    91 318is
    95 525iT

i need to dig around and see if i have a 4.10 ls, another choice if you wanna hold out for it would be a 4.27 ls, there rare as hens teeth but they are around. one thing you may need to do if you do find a ls diff you may need the 6 cylinder axles because the case on the ls is bigger and wider, i am not sure if they had a small case ls, i've never seen one in 8 + years of bimmer salvage, other diffs that will work with a cover/drive flange swap e28 and later e24/23 but most of those are lower gears and will kill off the line power, e30 325is auto's have 4.10 ls diffs i think the only cars that had the 4.27 were the 318 convertables and then as a option some had a 4.27ls. if i have a 4.10 ls i sell them for $400+ s/h i have trouble keeping them in stock so i may be out

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    I've been toying around with the idea of placing a limited slip on the 318iS. The original gearing is 4.11 and is needed to help anemic starts. Finding a 4.11 LSD might be another story. Have you got any clues or suggestions or am I wasting my time?

Jr
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

are you sure you have one, all of the 90/91 318is's ive seen have a regular unlimmited slip diff, i think that was the only e30 that the s option didn't meen you automaticly got one, my 3.73ls in my 325ism at 190k miles is as tight as it was at 120 when i got it and i flog the **** outta it, it breaks em both loose when pulling out quickly, my car would be undrivable without it at the power i am at now, it'd just sit and spin comming out of a driveway or any other weight transfering manuver

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenBrown
    My 318is has a limited slip, I can barely tell the difference.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Winfred and Jr,

4.10 diffs were used extensively on European spec models and are probably the best ratio for a four cylinder E30. Both the stock 318i and is models were imported with them. A number of track cars were converted to the 4.27 and all it does is turn the car into a four speed as first becomes useless. If you can get a 4.10 with LSD go for it. I still have bogging down on tight corners. Those with LSD just keep on going and seconds can be lost this way.

Another approach was to get the dog leg Getrag 5 speed whose ratios are different with 5th being 1.00. Lets you squeeze every horse from the engine. That plus a codl air intake, exhaust and new chip will see the car putting out 150 HP and if you can source a set of Racing Dynamic cams then add another 10 horses to that.

Can't wait to see what you do next.

Good luck!
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

the c 318 here has a close ratio 5 speed with a 1:1 5th (you should see what one does to a 325is talk about a useless 1st )

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Hoad
    Another approach was to get the dog leg Getrag 5 speed whose ratios are different with 5th being 1.00