GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The truth about aftermarked intakes vs. stock...

Default The truth about aftermarket intakes vs. stock...

Does anybody know it?

I only ask because my car came with an aftermarket k&n / tube intake, but the car is faster with the stock box. My kester isn't real sensitive, but the stock setup had noticably more power in the 2k - 5k range than the tube setup.

Some very esteemed members of the board have the k&n intake tube setup, which makes me think mine was just set up wrong if the stock gave me more power.

There was no heat shield and the tube gets super hot under there. Does a heat shield make the difference? How about forcing the air into the tube with some sort of modified cold air flange?

Anyone want to throw in their $0.02?

Robin
    Last edited by Robin-535im; 07-13-2004 at 07:22 PM.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Gary M Guest

Default The heat shield is the key - It's needed otherwise you lose power

x

Robin - try to find an aftermarket intake system from any reputable tuner for the M30. Basically, you can't. Sure makes you wonder why, huh? I think even the Hartge and Alpina versions of the E34 run the stock airbox.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default Jeff - how's the MAF feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Robin - try to find an aftermarket intake system from any reputable tuner for the M30. Basically, you can't. Sure makes you wonder why, huh? I think even the Hartge and Alpina versions of the E34 run the stock airbox.
    If you got some dyno runs I'd love to see them, by the way. Do you ever use thye g-tech to get estimates on mods? Seems to me, anything with a RPM vs. time plotting capability can tell you if you got more power from a modification... E.g., if you get from 2000 to 2100 faster now then before, you must have more power there.

Did the fan clutch work?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Exactly- you get hot underhood air which is less dense that colder air from the front where the headlights are, which is where the stock airbox gets it from.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Default I like it.

Well...got the g-tech but haven't really setup a good "run" location for the tests. Maybe help if I lived out your way.

Getting ready for the big tune.. Have some plans up my sleave. Likely will end up at the dyno one of these days in the not to distant future, haven't been there yet. Still trying to learn about enough about my car to be able to really work with them vs. sit there like potted plant.

Yes - fan clutch seems to work well vs. the old one! Whoohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    If you got some dyno runs I'd love to see them, by the way. Do you ever use thye g-tech to get estimates on mods? Seems to me, anything with a RPM vs. time plotting capability can tell you if you got more power from a modification... E.g., if you get from 2000 to 2100 faster now then before, you must have more power there.

Did the fan clutch work?
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Well...got the g-tech but haven't really setup a good "run" location for the tests. Maybe help if I lived out your way.
    I got my GTech Comp delivered last Friday, tried a few runs last night. Unfortunately I had problems with launch and traction. Most of the roads around me were tarred and chipped about 2 weeks ago and have yet to scrub clean in those areas that are not frequented. i.e. the roads where I could get a good clean surface for launch are flanked by houses, the roads that are flanked by onion fields are covered with gravel. Maybe in a couple more weeks...... Maybe after tonight's forecast for torrential rains.....
    --Micah O'C
    '17 M2 6MT, Mineral Grey
    '04 330i ZHP
    '88 M5 2791445
    '92 M5T BL01001
    formerly '90 535iM, '92 525iT

Default Micah, would be interested in knowing

the best times you did get on a slippery surface--with traction control on?

MicahO: tried a few runs last night

I gave up - was too traction-limited in second gear even on the moderately clean surfaces. It was evening and the only non-travelled areas were out in the agricultural backwaters of my town - too many commuters on the nice roads, so I had to give up.

Wifey's out of town Saturday night and Sunday, so I should get some time for some runs this weekend. Actual ET's to 60 etc will be some time coming as I feel I really need to work on the launch. I do want to start with some power runs through second to get some model of net HP from the thing.

But as I get numbers and techniques, I will definitely post.

(wow - freudian slip - when I typed that last sentence, my fingers typed "pose." Really!)
    --Micah O'C
    '17 M2 6MT, Mineral Grey
    '04 330i ZHP
    '88 M5 2791445
    '92 M5T BL01001
    formerly '90 535iM, '92 525iT

Default LOL our 330PP poser

Look forward to hearing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MicahO
    (wow - freudian slip - when I typed that last sentence, my fingers typed "pose." Really!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast