GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saying bye bye to my 525i

Default Saying bye bye to my 525i

Well after talking to my parents....we decided its time to let my 525i go. Its served us well for 13 years. We are going to trade it in for a new car for me to take to college.

Any recommendations on a car? I was thinking something like a Z or RX8 or a G35 (if i can afford it) .... I'd actually love to get a 3 series but thats way to expensive for me...I just hope one of those cars can handle almost as well as my old 525i...I love that car...just too expensive to maintain...

Default Also consider Cadillac CTS for 2005. You can get one...

with the sport package, 6-speed manual, and the now standard 3.6 VVT engine for around $33K. RX-8 handles MUCH BETTER than an E34, but for decent performance, avoid the autotrans.- The motor just doesn't have enough torque. G35 looks very cheap inside, and the manual tranny, although OK, is not the equal of the Getrags found in BMWs and in the RX-8. I don't know how good the caddy will shift with an Aisin 6-speed. Hope it's not the same as the infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Boggie1688
    Well after talking to my parents....we decided its time to let my 525i go. Its served us well for 13 years. We are going to trade it in for a new car for me to take to college.

Any recommendations on a car? I was thinking something like a Z or RX8 or a G35 (if i can afford it) .... I'd actually love to get a 3 series but thats way to expensive for me...I just hope one of those cars can handle almost as well as my old 525i...I love that car...just too expensive to maintain...

how about a merc benz C43 AMG? they are very very rare and from what ive read.. awesome cars. its a great combination of performance and luxury. only have seen one (a guy at my church has one) and its an eyecatcher. heres some pics to ponder. heres a link to edmunds review of the C43 AMG.

Last edited by Phil M; 07-11-2004 at 12:43 PM.

a c class? that's a pos tiny car. he had a nice 5er and u want him to downgrade to a
    c? eh =\

and WHY would u pay 33k for a Caddy cts when u can step into a 325i sport package for 32 grand???

if u want an easy car to maintan get a honda accord 6 spd. no one will mess w/ it in college, safe, reliable and powerful...

what are u uing this car for? long commutes? hauling chicks? =] where u going to school? u need awd? u want rwd?

good luck pickin a new one!

so youre telling me that a benz C43 AMG is a downgrade from a 91 525i? you have got to be kidding me. At least Im not recommending some under engineered Honda. now that is a piece, IMHO. please dont flame me.

PS. the C43 isnt "tiny." Size and interior space are identical between the E34 and W202. I guess that if you think its tiny, then all of us on here are driving tiny cars. Haha. Plus it'll outperform the e34 M5 (numbers dont lie) and downright devours the e36 m3. that car is anything but a piece o ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil M
    so youre telling me that a benz C43 AMG is a downgrade from a 91 525i? you have got to be kidding me. At least Im not recommending some under engineered Honda. now that is a piece, IMHO. please dont flame me.

PS. the C43 isnt "tiny." Size and interior space are identical between the E34 and W202. I guess that if you think its tiny, then all of us on here are driving tiny cars. Haha. Plus it'll outperform the e34 M5 (numbers dont lie) and downright devours the e36 m3. that car is anything but a piece o ****.
    now i wouldn't be so quick to say that hondas are all POS's. it says something about their engineering if they have had absolutely NO vtec failures...and they have been in their cars since the mid 80s. can't say the same about VANOS.
    mike
    '91 525im

project e34

Default I miss the logic here?

525i repair costs vs the cost of a new car? Seems as if the 525i is cheaper, especially for the short term. I assume low cost is the goal here. However, I think reliability and having a new car really is the goal. Just my 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Boggie1688

Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

im not saying they are all. they are reliable and whatnot. but in an overall comparison..blah. VTEC is much simplier than VANOS. Thats comparing apples to oranges anyways. I tip my hat to honda though.. that new acura TL is one nice cookie.

My friend has the new accord v6 6 speed...very nice car...very fast...doesn't handle as good as a bmw no way in hell....we just test drove the tl the other days...very very nice car....i want a car that will be maintainance free....not problems...so i'm gunna stay away from bmw for awhile....i can't afford to keep paying for stuff....my dad won't let me get a 2door...damn insurance...so its kind hard finding a nice fast stylish car...the g35 is all i can think off...

Dont be so caught up in speed. Cars's 0-60 times are only 5% of what the car is really about. (that is unless, its a Bugatti) Factor in handling, overall ride, interior space, headroom, etc. take the thing out on the freeway and let her breathe and see how she fairs. also these days gas mileage is a big factor, especially for college kids our age. with diesel at significantly lower prices than gas id take that into consideration. Also, no car will be maintainance free especially for the do it yourselfer. just make sure you aint getting a lemon.

i still like that C43 :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast