GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Does somebody have an explanation as to why the hoods open....

Default OT: Does somebody have an explanation as to why the hoods open....

on these cars the way they do? Or a generalised explanation as to why automakers stopped putting on hoods that way? somebody asked me why mine is the way it is. doesn't the e28 m5 open up from the front? when i drove to ON, it was kinda cute to be parked next to an old chevy nova with da same hood opening, same engine configuration....cute in a dumb way, i know.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I wonder if it's so if it won't pop open....if you've ever had a hood fly open when you're driving (happened to me in a 77 Dodge van while driving over the Oregon Inlet Bridge, scared the $%#$ out of me).

Default very few automakers have ever had a hood open this way, it costs more to

hinge it like the e34 is.. most old cars opened from the other direction, only a few gm products in the 80's opened like the e34... Anybody thats every had a hood fly open on the highway and wrap around the windshield is thankful for the e34 hood.... Sorry Rick, guess i was too slow

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    on these cars the way they do? Or a generalised explanation as to why automakers stopped putting on hoods that way? somebody asked me why mine is the way it is. doesn't the e28 m5 open up from the front? when i drove to ON, it was kinda cute to be parked next to an old chevy nova with da same hood opening, same engine configuration....cute in a dumb way, i know.

Default They stopped doing it after....

too many lawsuits. Owners of older E34's where getting knocked unconscious while working on their engines. The problem was down to old and failing gas struts combined with a gust of wide. BMW issued a bulletin recommending parking with open hood downwind or propping a broom against the bulkhead of the engine and the inside of the hood.

Don
    95 525iA

a small pair of vice grips on the piston of the dead gas strut works well, that way you don't have a prop rod in the way
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Ditto, and some aftermarket guys sell a clip that clips on the

strut and locks the strut in place when up and you release the clip to lower it... I saw them a couple of years ago and thought these guys would make a fortune since they were only a couple of bucks... but it hasn't seemed to catch on...

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    a small pair of vice grips on the piston of the dead gas strut works well, that way you don't have a prop rod in the way

nowadays kids TRY to make thier hoods, "suicide" style which means reverse. they reverse doors hoods trunk lids etc all to be different. keep trying to be something you're not ! =] *wink*

I remember when hood pins were "cool"

Maybey BMW didnt like that idea on their cars.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I got konked a few times...anyone else??

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I remember when hood pins were "cool"

Maybey BMW didnt like that idea on their cars.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

yeah, im going to mount my hood so it opens FORWARD i know somebody with a nissan maxima that wants to cannabalize an e30 or such to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bahnstormer
    nowadays kids TRY to make thier hoods, "suicide" style which means reverse. they reverse doors hoods trunk lids etc all to be different. keep trying to be something you're not ! =] *wink*
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast