GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any New Jersey (N. central) E34 Owners who like to work on their own cars out there?

Default Any New Jersey (N. central) E34 Owners who like to work on their own cars out there?

Greetings - Looking for similarly mechanically inclined owners who are within reasonable distance from from Union County (Scotch Plains) interested in collaborating / learning together over an E34.

Recently acquired '95 525i with 138k and have a laundry list of mechanical things to do / maintain. Keeping it stock. I have some automotive (and racing) experience, but lack depth, experience, and confidence with these cars. Bentley manual is at hand!

My list of interests includes:
    • Bullet proofing the cooling system, replacing water pump, T-stat, hoses, and fluid.
    • Brakes - Bleeding, replacing front pads with Akibono's.
    • Valve cover gasket / plugs.
    • Trans flush / filter.

• Air sensor.

If you have similar ambitions, let's help each other.

Vic

Helo Vic, I'm in Metuchen. I own 2 525s. 1 is a 92 with a maunual trans, the other is a 91 automatic has turned into a parts car sadly. I'm getting ready to swap out the subframes, engines and some body parts. I haven't gotten into anything big on these cars other than keeping them running. I had a few electical problems I ironed out, but all in all they are great cars. My biggest problem is finding time to do the work. Both are now off the road, but not for long as my GMC pickup is killing me with the amount of fuel it burns, so I need a get around car and would rather make a nice 525 manual trans out what I have then to buy another car. I at least know the historys of my cars which has made the decision to do all this major work a worthy choice. Now let me find some time.

Dear Duby55 -

Your projects sound much more ambitious than mine, and I really don't think I'd be of much value helping though I'm willing to try.

I'm trying to embark on refreshing the cooling system -- new hoses, pump, coolant, and t-stat. Just researched drilling t-stats and may drill mine. One person commented that allowing some water to pass prevents the shock of hot water from suddenly entering the engine, which risks head warpage. Never thought about it before, but imagine a typical winter warm-up cycle, and an eventual t-stat opening allowing hot water into the head and block. Of course the combustion warms those parts ... so I'm not sure what shock the engine experiences when the t-stat opens.

Anyway, even my relatively superficial project is one I've never tackled before, and will surely benefit from someone with experience.

Thanks for your reply!
    Vic

Not to intrude on your posts but the head is always full of water thats gradually heating up as the engine warms, there is no sudden shock of hot water that warps a head..... if anything after the tstat opens its a sudden shock of cold water, but either way its a non issue. Drilling the hole is just helpful to some people who can't get the air pockets out when bleeding.

Bill - Thanks for your comment. Please clarify. I've read we have to bleed, bleed, bleed (i.e. worry, worry, worry). What problem can an air pocket cause and isn't the problem true for all e34's? Thanks, Vic

Where you have air you dont have coolant. This means your heater wont work but more importanly, the block/head are not being cooled. Result: blown HG and maybe warped head. The whole point of a stat is to warm the engine up to operating temp as soon as possible so why would you want to put a hole in it? It take me about 20 minutes to bleed mine. If I am not happy I just leave it overnight and top up in the morning. No drilling holes, jacking the front up or fingers crossed behind my back
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Hmmm. 20 minutes to bleed? What's your procedure? I figured you loosen the bleeder screw, purge air, retighten, have beer. (Close hood, have next beer, etc.)

LOL... sometime bleeder screws snaps... sometime it is clogged that you got to take it out and clean it with picks... My suggestion is you PB Blast your nipples a day before you bleed......... Now that just came out wrong.... ROFLOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Hmmm. 20 minutes to bleed? What's your procedure? I figured you loosen the bleeder screw, purge air, retighten, have beer. (Close hood, have next beer, etc.)
    Procedure? Mix up the antifreeze to what the system holds. With heater on full, fill as much as you can then put cap on and fire up. Run at fast idle for a few mins then open bleed screw to let air out. Stop engine occasionally and top up. Just keep repeating with a close eye on temp gauge so it doesnt go past 12 o'clock. When its hot isnt a good time to take the cap off Check heater is giving out really hot air. If you have any coolant left, you probably havent put enough in. Test drive. Of course I can because I'm on tea until the job is done
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Somebody please tell me what putting the heater on full does to allow coolant circulation when refilling. Also, if the engine is cold and the radiator is refilled, does having the heater on full mean coolant is flowing through the block even though (presumably) the t-stat is closed? Separately, I've heard coolant is nasty stuff, so here's my stupid question: Can I dump it on the lawn without killing grass, fish, and poisoning whole populations?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast