GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Center support

Default Center support

Long story short. My 89 535I, the ujoint had locked up, and basically destroyed the center support bearing, causing a loud vibration. I pulled out the drive shaft, replaced it with what appeard to be a rebuilt unit , due to the u joints have clips on them and moved really good. The center support bearing looked new also. Took the car around the block after, could hear a loud ticking sound as the car would roll, then get progressivly louder . It went away after a bit, then came back when I went over a bump in the rod. The guy I bought it from asked if I pre loaded the bearing? Is this necessary and if so How do I do so? Due to the heat sheild, I can't see whats going on
    89 535I
    89 volvo 240
    78 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6

The bolt holes in the bracket are elongated. Thats so you can adjust or 'pre-load' the prop. For pre-load read 'pull it towards the front a bit before you tighten the bolts'. Its in Bentleys somewhere. And Bentleys is in the house somewhere or I'd quote it for you. But thats essentially what it means

I must of missed that part. I'll get the heatshield down, and hope it didn't break the bearing.
    89 535I
    89 volvo 240
    78 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6

I drove the car 3 times last week, and first time went about 2 miles no noise, pulled it back in the garage and parked it. Day 2 drove the car got about 100 yds the car started making a loud banging sound from what seems to be the drive shaft parked it when it was still making the noise. Drove it yesterday, about 5 miles no noise till I turned the corner in my driveway. The driveshaft I replaced it with the front shaft was much larger in diameter than the one I removed. I found out from the guy I got it from that it came from an 92 535I. Do you think it might be hitting on the heat shield, and I need to put the 92 heat shield on? It's hard to diagnose with the heatsheild on, but seems like if I park it, the noise goes away, until the car gets hot, orI turn or go over a bump.
    89 535I
    89 volvo 240
    78 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6

You should be able to see where it's banging on the heat shield when you remove it. You might have to customize it a bit with the hammer. You can jack up the rear end and rotate the wheels and see if you hear rubbing. You might be able to give the heat shield a wedgie somewhere or spacer washers and not have to tear the whole thing apart again.

1990 535im 421,000 miles, 1987 325is, 1989 325is, 1990 m3, 1991 318is, 2001 X5 3.0

Ok, turns out the driveshaft from an 92 and 89 are different. I just cut a little 1 inch section out of the heatshield where it was rubbing at the front of the driveshaft. I don't think that much heat will get up in there to cause to much problems. I've got a guy bringing heatsheild from the 92 so I can put on my 89. Runs good now.
    89 535I
    89 volvo 240
    78 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6