GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My ABS light came on and now there is a noise that won't stop even with car off

Default My ABS light came on and now there is a noise that won't stop even with car off

I have a weird noise coming from the front left side of the engine that won't stop even when the car is off. it sounds like a pump or something that is stuck on - what could it be? is it related to the ABS light? Help!

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    I have a weird noise coming from the front left side of the engine that won't stop even when the car is off. it sounds like a pump or something that is stuck on - what could it be? is it related to the ABS light? Help!
    did you shut your car off with the heater or ac still on?!

sometimes when i do there is a little pumping noise that goes away when i shut it off
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    did you shut your car off with the heater or ac still on?!

sometimes when i do there is a little pumping noise that goes away when i shut it off
    it was a loud loud sound under the hood. it lasted for over 10 minutes. i searched the board for an answer, and didn't find anything. I went back out with my mag light and found a box on the left side of the motor where the noise was coming from. I banged it with the maglight and the noise stopped. this also extinguished the abs light on the dash.

thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    it was a loud loud sound under the hood. it lasted for over 10 minutes. i searched the board for an answer, and didn't find anything. I went back out with my mag light and found a box on the left side of the motor where the noise was coming from. I banged it with the maglight and the noise stopped. this also extinguished the abs light on the dash.

thoughts?
    Sounds like the ABS pressure pump - I believe this is used to build up lost pressure in the brake system when the ABS is operating. I've not had cause to look at the ABS on my E34, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

is it possible it stuck in the 'on' position?

I get thump thump thump noise after I shut off engine sometime.

I would reset your ABS by pulling the fuse or battery... and see if that reset the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I get thump thump thump noise after I shut off engine sometime.

I would reset your ABS by pulling the fuse or battery... and see if that reset the whole thing.
    after i banged it and it stopped, i turned it on and off and it didn't come back - i'm hoping i dislodged whatever was stuck on.

It is possible the brake light switch is going bad... ABS get the trigger from the brake light switch.

Quote Originally Posted by sal_park View Post
    Sounds like the ABS pressure pump - I believe this is used to build up lost pressure in the brake system when the ABS is operating. I've not had cause to look at the ABS on my E34, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.
    +1

This could be the cause, there are number of valves inside the ABS pressure pump, you might had one of them stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmo_2007 View Post
    +1

This could be the cause, there are number of valves inside the ABS pressure pump, you might had one of them stuck.
    anything I should be worried about over the long term?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast