GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outstanding handling in snow

Default Outstanding handling in snow

Hello,

we got lots of snow recently. I went for a ride today, my first time with winter tyres on a BMW. Very thin tyres. 185. My trunk is loaded with car tools and the tank is full.

I'm amazed. The car handles superbly. It is a joy to drive especially in high reving 2 and 3rd gears. Yes you do slide in sharp turns but your speed is somewhat limited in those turns.

RWD with winter tyres owns. I feel very secured with the car. I got a faint memory that taking turns at the edge of adherence with FWD was somewhat less fun.

for what it is worth the tyre's brand is Gislaved Eurofrost. New tyres.

Yea, its great fun on empty roads

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

I had fun in the snow here too, but I'm running on my all season 245/40ZR18s Kumho LX. I did well in the deep snow

That is nothing compared to snow tire. Seriously!

Gislaved is an excellent snow tire. I don't have experience but by reputation is super winter tire. I use all Nokian Hakkapelita studless tires. I had the Q, RSi and now the latest R. All on different cars.

No need to go so skinny unless you really do ice driving alot. Skinny tire is quite squirrely! My MB diesel has the skinniest tire and it shocks me as I drive that car... LOL.

With snow tires, I never felt that I lack control. In fact, it drives like if the road was normal dry road.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Gislaved is an excellent snow tire. I don't have experience but by reputation is super winter tire. I use all Nokian Hakkapelita studless tires. I had the Q, RSi and now the latest R. All on different cars.

No need to go so skinny unless you really do ice driving alot. Skinny tire is quite squirrely! My MB diesel has the skinniest tire and it shocks me as I drive that car... LOL.

With snow tires, I never felt that I lack control. In fact, it drives like if the road was normal dry road.
    Yes amazing difference, 3 tries to get my car into the barn with 'all weather' tires. drove out like a snowmobile, stop turn GO almost like on dry pavement. I forget what kind I have but they are like 3 seasons so far. Probably the last good year for them but I waited till last minute this season, might be able to squeak another year in if I remove em early.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

All Weather is different from All Season... be aware of this because Nokian makes outstanding 'All Weather" tires that is designed from snow tire into 'all weather.

All season tires are most common in USA... All weather tire is a true minority here... Check it out... the Nokian WRG2.

http://www.nokiantires.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    All Weather is different from All Season... be aware of this because Nokian makes outstanding 'All Weather" tires that is designed from snow tire into 'all weather.

All season tires are most common in USA... All weather tire is a true minority here... Check it out... the Nokian WRG2.

http://www.nokiantires.com/
    My studless Hakka5s are incredible. I can't really compare because they are the only snows I've had on this car, but I've driven a lot of harsh winters and no car I have ever driven or been in comes anywhere close to how the e34+4nokians feels and performs. I thought it would be a good winter car but I had no idea it would be this good, it's a fing snowmobile.

I think I'll get summer Nokians next set.

I love the snow - gives me a chance to get sideways without saying goodbye to the rear tyre tread! :P (Obviously when it's 'safe to do so')! The e34 was drifting machine!! Swapped to a XJR6 in the summer and preliminary tests tell me it doesn't handle the icy roads nearly as well as the 535i, and controlling it in a slide is ten times more difficult... I miss the old BM at times like these!
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Yeah, XJR doesn't have limited slip differential. I'm bit surprised why Jaguar didn't use limited slip differential on a performance model with over 350 H.P.! But still 60 comes in less than 6 seconds even with all that weight. I believe your old 535i had limited slip diff. to make it more fun to swing that back end. And of course XJR is much heavier car. But still fun and classy car.

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport View Post
    I love the snow - gives me a chance to get sideways without saying goodbye to the rear tyre tread! :P (Obviously when it's 'safe to do so')! The e34 was drifting machine!! Swapped to a XJR6 in the summer and preliminary tests tell me it doesn't handle the icy roads nearly as well as the 535i, and controlling it in a slide is ten times more difficult... I miss the old BM at times like these!
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast