GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: How many turns on a coil spring?

Default How many turns on a coil spring?

Just got aftermarket standard front springs as one is broken. Have removed the broken one and that has 5.5 turns whereas the new ones have 7 complete turns. The free length is of course longer too but thats what you expect from new springs My head is saying it doesnt matter as long as the tension is right: maybe different steel, O.D. etc Apart from them being more of a pain to compress, anyone care to comment?

more turns means smoother rate, longer spring reflects this. If the rate is correct you should be good.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    anyone care to comment?
    Compare the cross sectional area and the length of the active spring vs the broken one. by 'active spring' I mean the amount of spring length that isn't coil bound when the spring is installed with the weight of the car on. Might not be the most useful statement to make as you'll need to install it to see this.

Do the new springs have 'tighter' coils at one end ? Can't remember what it's called

sal

Progressive vs Linear

Thanks for the comments gents. If I'm not down the hospital having a spring extracted I will be sure to post the results

Quote Originally Posted by sal_park View Post
    Compare the cross sectional area and the length of the active spring vs the broken one. by 'active spring' I mean the amount of spring length that isn't coil bound when the spring is installed with the weight of the car on. Might not be the most useful statement to make as you'll need to install it to see this.

Do the new springs have 'tighter' coils at one end ? Can't remember what it's called

sal
    The steel on the new springs is the same thickness as the old ones. Have installed the nearside and the gaps between the coils are even. The ride height has gone up a couple of inches to about 23.25. That should obviate the need for adjusting that headlight as the MOT tester said it was a bit low A roll bar droplink sheared on the second one but thats no big deal. The ABS sensors were a pig to move so anybody doing this I'd suggest the 3 bolts on the bottom of the leg are removed and the leg twisted so you can get at them. Leave the 3 nuts on the top so the leg doesnt drop and then just give the arms a kick downwards to release it