GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparkplugs soaked in oil! :(

Default Sparkplugs soaked in oil! :(

Have had some minor powerlosses @ speed and wanted to change the sparkplugs on my M60.. I opened up and found a scary amount of oil in and around the plugs

Could it be the no. 15 and 16 gaskets as seen here: http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...er_head_cover/

Or should I look elsewhere for the leak?

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post
    Have had some minor powerlosses @ speed and wanted to change the sparkplugs on my M60.. I opened up and found a scary amount of oil in and around the plugs

Could it be the no. 15 and 16 gaskets as seen here: http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...er_head_cover/

Or should I look elsewhere for the leak?

That is normally the cure.. remember also to replace the 22 gromets
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Primarily just #9 Rubber Seal(on my M60 there are 22) should be replaced as they tend to break from the heat if very old but of course you really can not always know that you will not find other needs as you do the job.. bolts as far as I know are normally reusable but as they are inexpensive maybe its wise to have them on hand..

just #9 should suffice. I didnt replace mine and they sealed up fine. just be careful that the gasket stays where it's supposed to, pretty easy to mess this up as you cant see how it lays down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Primarily just #9 Rubber Seal(on my M60 there are 22) should be replaced as they tend to break from the heat if very old but of course you really can not always know that you will not find other needs as you do the job.. bolts as far as I know are normally reusable but as they are inexpensive maybe its wise to have them on hand..
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Guys youŽre gold! Thx a lot!

Guys youŽre gold! Thx a lot!

Maybe its obvious but you'd benefit from at l;east one other pair of hands when trying to replace the covers.. you know , Gravity and all.. or are you already done? I bet Regal would say replacing the Coil Boots is excessive too.. it was suggested to me that Oil weakens Rubber which could result in some spark arcing out thru compromised boots.. I went ahead with it for the modest cost..

Thx for the pointers Jehu, and no I havenŽt begun yet but IŽll be sure to check all the boots as they are indeed soaked in oil!

if the boots are fairly new they can be cleaned up, if they are of the 20+ year variety replace em.
    Thx for the pointers Jehu, and no I havenŽt begun yet but IŽll be sure to check all the boots as they are indeed soaked in oil!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    if the boots are fairly new they can be cleaned up, if they are of the 20+ year variety replace em.
    They look fairly new, but who knows But IŽll give Žem a thorough check and replace if needed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast